Return to the Minnesota Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
potato question

Posted by jodikay mn z4a (My Page) on
Sun, Jul 22, 12 at 10:31

I finally checked my potatoes to see if anything was growing below ground and when I pulled up 3 plants this is what I got. So I am happy. But, on 2 of the plants the seed potato was still intact and on the 3rd plant nothing. Why is the seed potato still intact? I thought it would have disappeared into the soil by now? 2 of the plants had just the one potato. That was a bit disappointing. I thought I would have multiples on one plant. Can't wait for supper!

Jodi

Photobucket

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: potato question

Did you also fork up the area where the plants were? Usually very few ever pull up with the plant. If you haven't done this, you can bet there are still more down there.

o
RE: potato question

• Posted by RpR_ 3-4 (My Page) on
    Mon, Jul 23, 12 at 19:26

Unless you simply want new potatoes, you pulled them way, way too soon.
Had you waited till they died off, you probably would have had more potatoes and the "seed" would have been long gone.

I had to pull some of mine early due to volunteer squash wreak havoc but they had been in the ground since March.
Even a few of mine still had the mushy remnants of the seed plus the stolon where new potatoes would form were abundant.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Minnesota Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here