Return to the Minnesota Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Hakonechloa macra

Posted by cnord 4 (My Page) on
Tue, Jul 3, 07 at 11:17

Has anyone planted, and had luck growing this grass in our climate? I am thinking of trying it since I have lots and lots of shade gardens. I love the soft mounded look of it but all the web sites say the hardiness is not Zone4. Supposed to be a new variety "All Gold" that is more winter hardy. I live in Minneapolis and it would be on an east facing slope. Maybe I will buy 1 and see if it comes back next spring. Nothing to lose but money and a tiny bit of Gardener's Hope!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Hakonechloa macra

I've grown hakonechloa macra albostriata and aureola for over 15 years with no hardiness problems with either, though I've lost a lot of supposedly hardier grasses in that time frame.

kms

o

I've grown it gold/green variety for year - no problem. They use at the arboretum and at noremburg gardens a lot. It is a bit slow to get going.

Last year I planted the all green straight species, hoping it would be a bit more vigorous. It might have been, but rabbits at it back several times this spring.

I think this is a Z4 plant and Mpls is mostly Z5 anyway. Go for it!

Ted

o

Gold, green and variegated are all hardy for me in South Minneapolis. I use oak leaf mulch on some but not all, and the unmulched clumps have always pulled through, including a couple of winters back when January went from 40 to -10 with no snow cover.

You will really enjoy this grass. It takes a couple of years to become a large clump, but even when it's small it is beautiful.

Laura

o

Many people grow it here, and also many people have problems. So it may or may not work for you. All Gold has been around for a while now, and yes, I do find it hardier than the variegated types. Al Gold produces many flower (seed) heads, and I think they are very ornamental. Leave them grow and see what you think.

o

I'm one of the people who has had trouble growing it. Have not been able to get it to survive a winter in my gardens. But I'm out on the prairie with lots of wind to dry things out. I know of several people who grow it with no problem.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Minnesota Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here