Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
boyle014

Bale of straw/lawn advice

boyle014
14 years ago

Where can a person get a bale of straw in or near St. Paul? How much do they cost? Are they available year-round or only in the fall?

The city is doing some plumbing work in our front yard. When they're done, this is probably a good time to completely start over with our small lawn.

The lawn is very uneven, gets a lot of shade and has maple trees on both sides (one in our lawn; one in the neighbors). It's on the south side of the house. The yard has a fair amount of quack grass. It also has a bit of a slope. It is pretty level for the 10 feet in front of the house, but then slopes down at a 30-40 degree angle for two feet to the sidewalk. When the city started working, I realized that there are many feet of sand directly under a small layer of topsoil. When the workers put everything back in the giant holes they dig, the sand ends up on the top.

So, I'm dealing with a lot of challenges.

I'm thinking of killing the current grass and weeds, leveling the uneven patches using a compost/soil mix and a roller, and then putting down grass seed designed for dry conditions (the maples really suck up the moisture). I'm hoping by covering the grass seed with straw, I can keep it from running off the hill in the rain (this has been a problem in the past).

Any advice? Should I do this this summer or wait until spring when the recently dug holes have settled? The idea of waiting is a sad one--things look very bad right now. What do I do about the sand problem? Does straw work to keep seeds in place? What techniques do people use to kill grass and weeds?

Thanks for any help!

Comments (5)

Sponsored
The Creative Kitchen Company
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars47 Reviews
Franklin County's Kitchen Remodeling and Refacing Professional