Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
theims3

Starting perennials from seed

theims3
14 years ago

Hello there!

I am wondering if it is too late to start some perennials from seed and get them in the ground yet this year. I know there's plenty of time for germination, but will they have the time to get established and come back next spring? At least in our area of Minnesota (southern Twin Cities), we usually don't get a hard frost until the first or even second week of October.

I'm hoping that some of the more experienced flower gardeners have some advice--my area is usually vegetables, and I'm just getting into perennial gardening.

Here is a list, directly from our Park Seed order, of what we purchased:

1. ASTILBE X ARENDSII MIX

2. ASCLEPIAS GAY BUTTERFLIES (BUTTERFLY WD)

3. DELPHINIUM SUMMER MIX

4. DIANTHUS SIBERIAN BLUES (HARDY PINKS)

5. CENTAUREA MONTANA (BACHELORS BUTTON)

6. PEPPERMINT (this one I'm moving indoors in the fall for tea)

7. PRUNELLA FREELANDER MIX

8. CONEFLOWER (ECHINACEA) WHITE SWAN

9. RUDBECKIA CAPPUCCINO

Thank you in advance for any help and advice!

Comments (7)

• ptilda
    14 years ago

My concern with starting seeds now is the fact that it's been so cool and dry! I'm affraid my garden is thinking it's October!

• garystpaul
    14 years ago

The only one of these I have a lot of experience with is the delphinium. I buy or collect my own seed (it doesn't keep well and should be planted fresh) and germinate inside in my propagation box (about 3' x 4' with shop lights that can be raised and lowered). These will usually bloom a bit the first year. Some of the others I've tried using this method as well, but they take the entire season to get established.

Another thought: check out the winter sowing sites (including GW). I should think any of these seeds, including delphinium, could be winter sown.

Something I start in midsummer are biennials like foxglove. These get a nice start and overwinter in a cold frame outside and bloom next season.

I doubt you have time to germinate, then plant and expect the seedlings to overwinter in the garden. But others may have more experience with this.

Good luck. GaryStPaul

• theims3
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Thank you for the answers! Actually, while I was poking around here, I found the winter sowing forum, and I think that that may be the best option for me. I didn't even know that was possible! It's a really exciting idea, especially because I have a very small house (with a very large yard, thank goodness!) and I just don't have the room for starting many seeds indoors.

• Julie
    14 years ago

Heh- heh heh....
    There goes another unsuspecting gardener right down the slippery snowy slope to way too many happy seedlings!
    Wintersowing is a very fruitful and addicting pastime- that will carry you right on through the gardening year with planting out seedling- gathering seeds- collecting containers and swappin' those seeds you have cleaned and packaged up!
    You are sure to enjoy it!
    Julie

• dandy_line (Z3b N Cent Mn)
    14 years ago

I just this year decided that I stop waiting for germination on the 4th of July. Anything that germinates after that has no chance to make it to winter with enough growth to survive. So I just let the soil dry out and will restart them again next year.
    So, to answer your question-it is now too late to start seeds. But, the season starts sometime in November for me.

• boyle014
    14 years ago

If the plants are hardy in Zone 4, you should be able to plant the seeds in the ground in the fall and have things come up in the spring. (A little easier than winter sowing). This has worked for me with yarrow and poppies. I plant extra seeds so that the squirrels, chipmunks, and bunnies don't eat them all. I haven't tried the plants you have listed, however.

BTW, an earlier posting in this forum provided pretty convincing evidence that mint is best grown from seedlings rather than seed.

• vic01
    14 years ago

Peppermint needs to be in a container or something to keep it in bounds, it spreads ALL over! I have lived here for 9 years and still fighting it every year.

Sponsored
Peabody Landscape Group
Average rating: 3.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Franklin County's Reliable Landscape Design & Contracting