Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
carmellia_gw

Grape growers

carmellia
15 years ago

Reading the post about vines to cover a pergola there were some very interesting comments about grapes. I hope the people who made the comments will read this post.

I want to grow grapes and I want to turn my clothes line posts into the arbor. I know I will have to attach some sort of extention that will raise the height of the top cross pieces. In other words, this is going to end up being a very gerry-rigged, MacGiver sort of thing (read, ugly). So, I am wondering just how fast can I expect new grape vines that are happy and healthy to cover up an arbor that would be about 6 feet wide and 25 feet long? Also, do the vines remain to cover the structure during the winter?

I have no experience with grapes so I don't know what to expect. Also, if you have any comments about cultivated as opposed to wild grapes, or what varieties grow best here in our Minnesota climate, and will appreciate any information you care to offer. Carmellia

Comments (5)

• hoghaven_duluthmn
    15 years ago

Go for it. The tender "table" grapes are probably NOT what you want. I have grown pink, white, and red seedless grapes in zone 4 and they will produce good table grapes, but they need to be dropped on the ground for winter and covered with straw. My grape from Jung's "King of the North" has survived climate conditions near Detroit Lakes and Duluth without winter cover on the arbor. It just grows and grows no matter what the conditions, dry, hot, cold, wet--doesn't seem to matter. I think the King of the North is probably very similar to another variety called "Valiant" or a beta grape, but I have had very good luck with "King of the North". There are probably other good ones out there.

In my yard climate, it would take about 3 years to get some good coverage and certainly by the 4th growing season it should cover your structure. (I am thinking one at each side.) I am sure mine would fill in 6 x 12 nicely if I were to prune accordingly. In the past, I pruned it severely to just a skeleton and it would still produce like crazy. This year, I just haven't had time to take care of everything. You should still follow some basic grape pruning rules (nurturing a replacement cane after a few years--make sure the structure is very solid as it will be very heavy and a strong wind/rain will knock it over.)

While not the best table grape, it does make very good grape juice. I use a steamer to extract the juice. A word to the wise, however, make sure the filling hose is clamped securely or you will find that your feet will turn purple--one of my "Lucy and Ethel" moments!

Also, last year my friend came over and thought it was so cute how I hung those plastic grapes on my grape vine. Ha! She was quite surprised to find out they were real!

Here is what they look like today:

(Looking up)

They will probably ripen the 3rd or 4th week in September, weather permitting.

Have fun!

• carmellia
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thank you for all the information and for the photo.

I am most interested in grapes for juice and jelly so your King of the North sounds perfect.

I still need to figure out some way to raise the height of the arbor above the height of the cross bars of the clothesline. The clothesline poles are very sturdy so I want some means of extending the height that won't compromise that sturdiness.

I am eager to get started. I've always considered the grape to be one of natures most beautiful fruits. Carmellia

• glen3a
    15 years ago

Carmellia, I purchased a 'valiant' grape vine two years ago. I believe at time of purchase it was a two-year old plant in a one gallon pot. Anyways, I dug a hole, amended the soil with composted manure and planted the vine by a trellis attached to the south side of the carport.

The vine has grown very well. It filled the eight foot trellis the first season and now is growing beyond and around the carport. Maybe the longest 'branch' is about 12 feet long but I do keep trimming it just because it will easily outgrow the spot I have for it. The vine looks sort of neat as you have to walk under it to get to the car. Last year I got a bit of fruit (made a few small jars of jelly) and this year the vine is loaded with fruit. Valiant fruit ripens about mid August.

Initially I debated on removing my vine from the trellis and protecting it each winter, but then I would never know how hardy it really was (I read valiant is hardy to zone 3.) So, I left it on the trellis and for two winters it has survived very well, with just a bit of tip kill. One thing about the look of the branches, they sort of look dried up but they come back to life in spring.

You mention that you don't think the structure the vine will be growing on is all that attractive. I really wouldn't worry about it. Judging by my grape vine, it grows so thick you can't really see the trellis that it's attached to anyways. It has fairly dense thick foliage.

Glen

• carmellia
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thanks for the info, Glen. If you can grow Valiant in zone 3, I shouldn't have a problem with it. Maybe I will play it safe and Plant a Valiant at one end and a King of the North at the other, and see who gets to the middle first.

Wish me luck! Carmellia

• glen3a
    15 years ago

Thanks Carmellia. In that spot where I have the grape vine, I grew a kiwi vine for many years. It never got the infamous colored leaves nor grew very much. Then I tried a clematis that grew nice, but never bloomed (wrong pruning group for zone 3?) Anyways, I planted the valiant grape as I wanted something quick growing for a change. I definitely have that, though if it gets out of hand I'll just keep giving it a good trim each year. I can totally see why someone might think the grapes hanging on the vine are 'fake' as right now they are bright green and hard looking. Almost like plastic. Another neat thing is once the fruit does ripen to it's blue-ish purple color, you can actually leave it on the vine for quite a while (without it spoiling) and the sugar content in the fruit increases.

Glen

Sponsored
Bella Casa LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars17 Reviews
The Leading Interior Design Studio in Franklin County