Return to the Minnesota Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Green bean leaves stripped

Posted by jel48 Z4 Michigan (My Page) on
Mon, Jul 14, 14 at 13:13

My son (near Rochester) has a veggie garden for the first time this year. He says that all of the green bean leaves are being stripped off, leaving the stem, or most of it anyway. Seems to me that rabbits would eat the stem too. Has anyone else had this problem, and does anyone have any idea what might be doing it?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Green bean leaves stripped

Sounds like deer stripping. The leaves will likely grow back and plants still give a crop of beans. This happens to my pole beans every year. Here the deer mostly eat the leaves that are at their height plus the beans are behind a fence so they don't eat the lower leaves or the ones inside the fence though occasionally they will jump over this three foot high fence and eat leaves on both side of the bean trellis. They don't eat all the leaves just some. It does look odd with the vines and bare stems sticking out. They don't eat the beans.

o
RE: Green bean leaves stripped

• Posted by may8 Z4 MN (My Page) on
    Thu, Jul 17, 14 at 13:34

Rabbits eat beans too. We do not have deers here, but the rabbits eat beans as soon as they come up. For the last few years I started my pole beans in pots and planted them in the ground when the stalks get tough, and stuck some dead branches around the base. This year, however, they even ate some of the stalks from the bottom. I have not figured out how to protect bush beans, other than fencing them in. Rabbits will strip the whole plants up, tough or not.

Rabbits eat our raspberry stalks to about 1" from the ground almost every winter. When they did, like last winter, we won't be getting much berries at all. Otherwise, we should have a good crop. I wish there is a good way to get rid of them.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Minnesota Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here