Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jel48

Neighbor's thistles

jel48
17 years ago

Here's one I'm really bummed about.... I had noticed a few thistles growing where my back yard meets my neighbors and had pulled them as I noticed them. Last night, my husband happened to look out over the neighbor's yard and spotted a huge patch of the things. It must be in the area of 6 feet wide and 25 feet long and solid thistles. I've been searching online for half an hour and can't seem to identify them. They appear to be 1-2 feet tall. They have a small yellow blossum. They have kind oval leaves that are broader out toward the end then they are where they meat the stem, almost paddle shapped being very narrow at the stem end. They are hairless and have kind of 'soft' prickles along the edges of the leaves.

I tried to get a little scientific by searching online, and here are terms that apply to the leaves of this thistle, alternate, spatulate, serrate. The leaves are not perfoliate, although they almost appear to grow completely around the stem they actually do not.

I thought at first they might be perennial sowthistle, but after I found some closeups of the sowthistle leaves I saw they are entirely different.

I'm not sure what to do about this. I hate to go to the neighbor and mention them, but they are going to be all over the neighborhood if someone doesn't. I'd even be willing to go dig them, or spray them, or even pay a professional to do so.

I actually thought I'd find them on the MN list of noxious or secondary noxious weeds, but they are not there that I can find.

Hmmm... maybe they are not thistles at all, but more of a thistle look alike. I suspect they grew from a cheap birdseed mix that may have been spilled. They did have some feeders that blew over during winter or early spring.

Anyone have any idea what these could be?

Comments (3)

Sponsored