Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
carmellia_gw

Fall Exchange - Southern MN

carmellia
17 years ago

ATTN: Gardeners from Rochester, Luverne, Albert Lea, Red Wing, Worthington, Rosemount, Owatonna, New Prague, Winona, Lake City, Mankato, Zumbrota . . . and all points in between . . .

For years, my sister, Gaillardia, and I have been talking about having a plant exchange down in our neck of the woods (Kenyon), and this seems to be the year.

Fall has always seemed to me the best time to dig, divide, and transplant. It is also the time of year when I have the most available to time to do it. We are thinking of the 1st, 2nd, or 3rd weekend in September, or maybe the last weekend in August, if August isn't blistering hot this year. I have a large yard, and anyone coming from a distance is welcome to pitch a tent or bring a camper, although I wouldn't have hookup available.

Kenyon is equidistant between the Cities and Rochester. Highway 60 runs right through the middle of town. Faribault is 14 miles away. Of course, anyone from "up north" who would come is certainly welcome, and we won't make fun of your Yankee accent.

So make up a wishlist and survey your garden to see what needs splitting up. Let me know if you are interested and what weekends will and will not work for you. We are talking plants and pot luck. It doesn't get any better than that. Carmellia

Comments (10)

• luvmydaisies
    17 years ago

I live in Lonsdale and I would love to come. The weekend of the 16th does not work for me, That is the weekend of the State MG confrence at the Arb.

• mantorvillain
    17 years ago

Sounds like fun and an opportunity to meet other SoMn gardeners.
    I'm tied up with Marigold Days (community festival) on the 9th & 10th so wouldn't be able to make it then. Would the wknd of the 23rd be too late? I seem to still be moving things around then and haven't lost them so far...and want to enjoy the yard for as long as possible B4 starting to dig/move things...MN summers are just too short.
    Anyhow, If not conflicting w Marigold Days I'll make every effort. Maybe volunteer my place next year if we can get this started.
    Will

• jel48
    17 years ago

Hi Carmellia. I think that sounds great, and I'm definitely interested. I don't know about weekend availability yet, but will come any weekend if I don't end up with some sort of conflict.

• lazyweeder
    17 years ago

Hi Carmellia, I'd make the trip down there if you could handle my "yankee" accent. Sept 9th and 16th don't work for me either. Sept 23rd is ok for me too I'll be down that direction for the Gold Rush antique show in Rochester.

Dave

• sjmarq
    17 years ago

I'd like to go if possible. Right now my weekends are clear but last minute things always come up. Will look forward to putting the date on my cal.

• carmellia
    Original Author
    17 years ago

I don't think the 23rd is too late. Let's aim for that. The leaves around here a beautiful in late September - especially in the Sogun Valley, and the Straight River ravine runs through down at the end of Gaillardia's block.

I guess it is time to go around the garden in earnest with my pencil and paper to make my list. I know I've got lots of daylilies that need good homes, and if lovmydaisies doesn't already have too many daisys, I've got a large clump of tall daisies that desperately need dividing.

Whatever anyone would like to bring for potluck is welcome. Gaillardia and I will have hotdogs from the Kenyon meatlocker with all the fixings, and a bottomless airpot of coffee.

Yikes, it might be too early to start getting this excited. I can't wait! Carmellia

• luvmydaisies
    17 years ago

Carmilla~ I have been pulling up my daisies left and right, they have become a troublesome little addition to my gardens....They are pretty in a flower arrangement.(The ones I started out with are the ones from the ditch)
    Can't wait for Sept. 23rd..(MY Birthday is the 24th!)
    atica

• greenart
    17 years ago

I'd be interested in going as well. My Owatonna garden is only 2 years old but I will have a few odd bits that need homes! The 23rd will probably work for me too. Christine

• carmellia
    Original Author
    17 years ago

I just noticed that several people interested in the swap have chosen the Hosta Forum as their favorite or second favorit forum. I have scads that need new homes but I have been sloppy with my labeling in the past and I no longer know the names of many. Would there be any interest in unnamed hosta, or should I limit myself to the ones I can still name? Carmellia

• jel48
    17 years ago

Hi Carmellia. I would suggest some of each. Hosta collectors would most likely be looking for named varieties that they don't already have, while hosta lovers who are less into collecting may be interested in unnamed varieties that look different then those they already have. There may also be folks who would just love to have a number of nice plants to do some landscaping with. You might also want to make a post in the 'exchanges' section of the MN gardeners and try to do a little advance trading if you'd like to really get a feel for how many you'll need (or want) to dig. If you do that, be sure to post the variety name for those you know, and maybe a description (green, blue-green, gold, green with white edge, etc) for those you don't recall the names of. Then when it's time for the swap, dig enough for the advance trades plus a few more. Since you're doing the swap at your home, you can always dig up more that day, if someone wants more then you've already dug.