Return to the Minnesota Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Color on Astilbe: Reinland and Visions

Posted by marita40 minnesota (My Page) on
Tue, Jul 25, 06 at 15:26

I had 6 astilbe planted last fall by Linders in a front garden re-do: Visions on the south facing side and Reinland on the east facing side. Both are in a mix of sun/shade. Here in late July and despite the drought they are growing beautifully and are clearly very healthy. However, the color on both types is not vibrant but faded looking. One is supposed to be a beautiful purple and one pink (can't remember which is which at the moment) but both are a very light rusty color and not feathery at all. Does anyone know why? Someone suggested to me that they haven't bloomed fully yet so the color will develop. I do notice that some of the smaller, almost hidden buds do have the vibrant color, but not the dominant flowers.
In checking to see whether this question had been answered before, I did find a similar post from last May--but no answers. I am confident that Linders sold me the correct plants but I'm new to this so don't know what to expect. Any thoughts are appreciated!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Color on Astilbe: Reinland and Visions

Visions comes in several colors, so I'm not sure which one you have. Actually, Visions is not feathery. The flowers are quite a bit thicker than most astilbes. I like it because the flowers seem to last longer than the feathery types. Mine were sort of dull this year too. Maybe it is the drought. In past years, they have been striking. In fact I planted more because they looked so good at this time of the year. Maybe next year will be better :)
Virginia

o

I was unhappy with the color of my astilbe this year also.
Guess it just wasnt their year.....I find this happening with other flowers also.
Donna

o

Yes, mine were dull this year too and dried out dull brown much faster than years past. I'd guess your brownish ones are done blooming - they were probably prettier when newly unfurled but didn't hold the color. Gardening - an adventure in change.

o

This is very weird, I was the one that posted that my Astilbe just didn't have much color. Guess what, this year they had great color. Go figure.

o

Mine as well do not have the color to the blooms nor a convincing robustness to the foliage this year- I do believe most of my astilbe have done their best performance when the weather has been much cooler and more moist.
Although- the Goat's Beard Aruncus sent out the most lovely plumes this spring much to my surprise- They have always bloomed in the fall before- I do hope to get a repeat bloom this fall- but if things don't cool off and moisten up soon- I can see where many plants will be shutting down early this year-

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Minnesota Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here