Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
joyfulsnowflake

Need help ID plants

joyfulsnowflake
16 years ago

I started many of the seeds I got from the exchange this spring. By the time they are about ready to be moved outside, I had my baby. So my husband moved them outside, without any lables. He also sprinkled whatever seeds left in the garden. Now there are many plants I cannot tell what they are, or whether they are weeds or flowers. I bet I've pulled flowers up thinking they are weeds. Here are some I constrained myself to pull, and some waited them to flower. Can someone help me ID them?

The upper left hand one I am guessing is sweet william, no clue about the middle one.

This one grew lots of leaves, spreading on the groud. It finally flowered recently. The little yellow flower is not impressive, but it looks very bright against the dark green leaves.

This one looks like weed to me, but my husband won't let me pull it.

Again, I think this is weed. It has gotten to 3 feet tall already, haven't flowered. I really want to pull it.

This one had small pink flowers. What is it?

This one is about to flower. Is it weed?

Comments (16)

• windytown
    16 years ago

In picture #1, I'm guessing the plant in the middle is some kind of rudbeckia (black-eyed Susan). The red-flowered plant ia definitely annual nicotiana.

Pics #2 and #3 are a weed.

Pic #4 appears to be nicotiana elata which sends up a 4 to 5 foot white-blooming flower stalk, smells wonderful and good in a night garden. Yellow/orange cosmos and taller pink cosmos are coming up around it.

Pic #5 is a weed.

Pic #6 is gypsophilla, annual baby's breath.

Lastly, pic #7 is a snapdragon.

Keep in mind, these are just my guesses. I'd feel better if someone else confirmed, as well.

I hope I'm correct because that was kind of fun. I love mystery plants. :)

• cheri_mn_524
    16 years ago

the one with the yellow flower is a woodland poppy,.they will reseed
    the one with the five or so leaves#3 i think.... I believe is a castor been plant will get very large

• leaveswave
    16 years ago

#5 might be castor bean, might also be ragweed, which creates allergy problems for lots of people
    #2 - cheri's right - also called celandine poppy, "real" name is Stylophorum diphyllum

• joyfulsnowflake
    Original Author
    16 years ago

I googled Stylophorum diphyllum. On most images I found, the little yellow flower has 4 petals, the fruit looks like a pear and has hair on it. Mine has more petals (maybe a double flowering variety?) but the fruit looks like a long pod, without any hair. Is this a fancy variety of woodland poppy?

• abgardeneer
    16 years ago

#2 and 3 are Chelidonium majus, double-flowered form, not Stylophorum diphyllum.

• Julie
    16 years ago

AB-Gardeneer is correct-
    You probably received the seed from me- It will reseed like crazy if you let it- But I am like your husband in that I just cant seem to pull it all- It is too nice a plant with bloos all season- It will grow in very dry- shady conditions where most things will not-

I do hope you will enjoy it-

Julie

• joyfulsnowflake
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Julie: Thanks for clarify the mystery on #2&3! I do enjoy the dark green leaves and the bright yellow flowers. Now I know that it is shade loving, I am going to move it to my shade garden. I like the vigor of this plant.

On #6, the plant I am questioning is the one with small pink flowers, the flowers are larger than the baby breath in the background. These are two different kinds of plants.

I pulled the "castor bean" this morning after my husband went to work. :) I am allergic to ragweed. Cannot risk to let this plant to prove itself.

More mystery plant following:

#8: This plant has snail shell like node and never flowered.

• meeperx
    16 years ago

#8 looks like a tiger lily to me.

• leftwood
    16 years ago

#5 is Giant ragweed. It cannot be castor bean since it has leaves opposite of each other on the stem.

#8 I concur, tiger lily.

• jel48
    16 years ago

Yep, 8 is Tiger Lily and I bet you got that one from Julie too! I have one just like it :-) Mine didn't bloom the first season but it did the second, and it is worth waiting for! I am so like you.... I have a lot of plants that I got from previous swaps and that were somehow missing the tags. I planted them all in the same bed, then didn't pull ANYTHING that I didn't recognize as a weed. Eventually, some of the unknowns did turn out to be weeds, but I don't think I ended up destroying any wanted plants. Wait and See is a good option :-)

• Sue Brunette (formerly known as hockeychik)
    16 years ago

As others have said, #8 is a tiger lily. The little black seed balls(or whatever)will fall to the ground to make new plants but I think it takes a few years to amount to much. These lillies tend to transplant themselves along with other plants. We have moved peonies and hosta and both times the tiger lilly came with unknowingly. But it's kind of fun to get more when you aren't expecting it. I just dug them up and gave them their own place in the garden.

• joyfulsnowflake
    Original Author
    16 years ago

More mystery plants:

#9:

#10: This came the second year with an iris I bought from Linders. It looks like columbine to me. Can someone help me confirm it? When would be the best time to move it?

#11:

#12: This has similar leaves as #11, except they are opposite.

• leftwood
    16 years ago

#10 definitely columbine.

#11 and #12 had me puzzled, as they both look like ragweed to me. So I went out and checked some I had pulled in the garden yesterday. To my surprise, there were both opposite and alternate leaf arrangements, and even on the same stems! So they are both ragweed, in my opinion.

No clue on #9, but my guess is that it is a flower.

• windytown
    16 years ago

I'm guessing #9 is some type of daisy, Ox-Eye perhaps?

• joyfulsnowflake
    Original Author
    16 years ago

When #1 and #9 blooms, I will report back.

When would be the best time to move that columbine? It is inside of the iris.

• joyfulsnowflake
    Original Author
    16 years ago

#1 has bloomed - It looks like forget-me-not.

Anyone know what is the following little yellow flower (the orange one is "Orange Profusion" I got from seed exchange. It has done really well in my garden. I love it)

#13: This is from the seeds I collected at our city hall. I'd love to know the name of it.

No bloom for #9 yet, makes think it might be a fall bloomer like some kind of aster.

Sponsored
Landscape Management Group
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars28 Reviews
High Quality Landscaping Services in Columbus