Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
sjmarq

July garden needs help

sjmarq
16 years ago

May and June are really beautiful in my garden and I so enjoy the cool spring temps. July is really dull and it needs help - not much blooming and what is there sometimes looks unhappy as I do not water much. I need recommendations for: zone 4 hardy, deer resistant, blooms in July. What do you recommend that fits that?

I have some day lilies and phlox but both of those are loved by deer. We went away for the weekend and now they've been nibbled on and now will not produce blooms for the year. Sad.

My July garden is so BORING!

Comments (9)

• rubybaby43
    16 years ago

I don't know about deer-resistance but I am really enjoying my astilbe right now! The heliopsis is looking great too. July gets a bit dull in my gardens as well. We also have daylilies, phlox and some asiatic lilies and clematis....that's about it here.
    Kristy :)

• thisismelissa
    16 years ago

Have you considered coneflower? I could be wrong, but I do believe they are deer resistant, though my trouble is with bunnies, not deer.

AND you know there are LOTS of new colors in coneflower now! I bought an orange (kinda melon-ish) one, a yellow one and a white one all in the last week.

• jel48
    16 years ago

Here's a good link (Below) ....

I don't have problems with deer, but I do have some of the plants on this list. Some of my mid-summer favorites are: Black Eyed Susan, Bee Balm, Butterfly Bush (doesn't always winter well here, but some folks are able to keep it going just fine - there's another thread here on the MN forum about that), Clematis (check the info on the specific variety for bloom time), Yarrow, Liatris (Blazing Star), Goldenrodd, Honeysuckle, Hyssop, Salvia (sage), Sweet William,

And don't forget annuals such as: Zinnia, Cock's Comb, Four O'clocks, Marigolds, Morning Glory, Sunflower.

With the exception of my Butterfly Bush attempts (which died every winter) I've had really good luck with all of these and they have all been easy to grow.

Here is a link that might be useful: Deer Resistant Plants

• windytown
    16 years ago

I started a patch of wildflowers from one of those shaker cans this year. It's simply gorgeous right now, though I do not have deer problems.

Here is a link that might be useful:

• leaveswave
    16 years ago

early June is my not-enough-color period. now there's:

butterfly milkweed
    marsh milkweed
    BE susans
    gaillardia
    several grasses
    flax
    bachelor button
    daisies
    roses
    mt mint
    echinacea coneflowers
    ratibida coneflowers
    wisteria
    rose campion
    asiastic lilies
    lupin
    viola
    cosmos
    plume poppy
    etc., etc.

I'm sure the online database link I posted in another thread would bring up several times as many.

• Sue Brunette (formerly known as hockeychik)
    16 years ago

My bee balm, coneflowers, daylillies and yarrow are going great in July. My liatris is not quite blooming yet and my black eyed susan are just beginning. I don't know if these are deer proof either but they are definitely good bloomers for July. Our problem here isn't deer either but those pesky wabbits!!! They are so cute though. I need to work on my June bloomers. That's where my garden lacks color.
    Good Luck

• kimeryl
    16 years ago

I second the wildflower garden suggestion, that's just coming to life for me now. I also have bee balm and lillies in bloom. I notice nobody mentioned roses - is that because they're a problem with deer? I don't have that issue, so I'm not sure, but this is the time of the year when my roses are glorious (and I appreciate them for it!).

Good luck!
    Kim

• snolady
    16 years ago

local gardening radio show says soak rags in ammonia and drape on shrubs or fence to repel deer. You will have to re soak them as they dry out and odor is gone.

• zenpotter
    16 years ago

I have a wildflower garden at my cabin that is a mix of MN natives. There are many that all I have ever seen is the green stems. Use the list of deer resistant plants. That is what I am going to add to my garden.

Sponsored
Custom Premiere Design-Build Contractor | Hilliard, OH