Return to the Minnesota Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
July garden needs help

Posted by sjmarq z4 MN (My Page) on
Thu, Jul 5, 07 at 16:20

May and June are really beautiful in my garden and I so enjoy the cool spring temps. July is really dull and it needs help - not much blooming and what is there sometimes looks unhappy as I do not water much. I need recommendations for: zone 4 hardy, deer resistant, blooms in July. What do you recommend that fits that?

I have some day lilies and phlox but both of those are loved by deer. We went away for the weekend and now they've been nibbled on and now will not produce blooms for the year. Sad.

My July garden is so BORING!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: July garden needs help

I don't know about deer-resistance but I am really enjoying my astilbe right now! The heliopsis is looking great too. July gets a bit dull in my gardens as well. We also have daylilies, phlox and some asiatic lilies and clematis....that's about it here.
Kristy :)

o

Have you considered coneflower? I could be wrong, but I do believe they are deer resistant, though my trouble is with bunnies, not deer.

AND you know there are LOTS of new colors in coneflower now! I bought an orange (kinda melon-ish) one, a yellow one and a white one all in the last week.

o

• Posted by jel48 Z3/4 Minnesota (My Page) on
    Thu, Jul 5, 07 at 21:42

Here's a good link (Below) ....

I don't have problems with deer, but I do have some of the plants on this list. Some of my mid-summer favorites are: Black Eyed Susan, Bee Balm, Butterfly Bush (doesn't always winter well here, but some folks are able to keep it going just fine - there's another thread here on the MN forum about that), Clematis (check the info on the specific variety for bloom time), Yarrow, Liatris (Blazing Star), Goldenrodd, Honeysuckle, Hyssop, Salvia (sage), Sweet William,

And don't forget annuals such as: Zinnia, Cock's Comb, Four O'clocks, Marigolds, Morning Glory, Sunflower.

With the exception of my Butterfly Bush attempts (which died every winter) I've had really good luck with all of these and they have all been easy to grow.

Here is a link that might be useful: Deer Resistant Plants

o

I started a patch of wildflowers from one of those shaker cans this year. It's simply gorgeous right now, though I do not have deer problems.

Here is a link that might be useful: wildflower garden

o

early June is my not-enough-color period. now there's:

butterfly milkweed
marsh milkweed
BE susans
gaillardia
several grasses
flax
bachelor button
daisies
roses
mt mint
echinacea coneflowers
ratibida coneflowers
wisteria
rose campion
asiastic lilies
lupin
viola
cosmos
plume poppy
etc., etc.

I'm sure the online database link I posted in another thread would bring up several times as many.

o

My bee balm, coneflowers, daylillies and yarrow are going great in July. My liatris is not quite blooming yet and my black eyed susan are just beginning. I don't know if these are deer proof either but they are definitely good bloomers for July. Our problem here isn't deer either but those pesky wabbits!!! They are so cute though. I need to work on my June bloomers. That's where my garden lacks color.
Good Luck

o

I second the wildflower garden suggestion, that's just coming to life for me now. I also have bee balm and lillies in bloom. I notice nobody mentioned roses - is that because they're a problem with deer? I don't have that issue, so I'm not sure, but this is the time of the year when my roses are glorious (and I appreciate them for it!).

Good luck!
Kim

o

local gardening radio show says soak rags in ammonia and drape on shrubs or fence to repel deer. You will have to re soak them as they dry out and odor is gone.

o

I have a wildflower garden at my cabin that is a mix of MN natives. There are many that all I have ever seen is the green stems. Use the list of deer resistant plants. That is what I am going to add to my garden.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Minnesota Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here