Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jel48

Plant ID Please

jel48
16 years ago

I have a couple of theories on where all of the unidentified plants in my yard come from. Number 1) The birds drop seeds from neighbor's (or even further away) plants. Number 2) I've hauled in a lot of topsoil, compost, etc, and it contained seeds that I unwittingly planted.

Of course, many of the unidentified plants turn out to be weeds, once I've let them grow enough so that they take a recognizable form. Others, I'm still puzzled by.

The two plants, that I'm posting below, have been growing in shaded beds for the last 2-3 years. I've decided ** ENOUGH **. If they're not desireable it's time to get rid of them!

The closest I can guess on the first one is, gooseberry or maybe current. It has thorns. Gooseberries have thorns and grow in shaded areas. Currents, I'm not sure about.

First Unidentified plant:

This second one could have been poison ivy, based on the sets of three leaves, but it has thorns. I'm pretty sure poison ivy never has thorns. My own best guess is raspberry, but it's been there 2-3 years and no sign of berries so I'm thinking not. Any ideas, anyone?

Second Unidentified plant:

Comments (9)

• leftwood
    16 years ago

#1 is a gooseberry.

#2 is definitely in the Rubus genus (as raspberries are). I am thinking black raspberry, but not sure. Are the canes very very long, and almost vine like? And do they get a purpling on the cane? That would be black raspberry. All wild raspberries or black raspberries bloom on old wood. That means they bear fruit on the canes that grew the year before. If you remove the canes each year, they will never bear fruit.

• jel48
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Thanks Rick! No, there isn't any purpling on the cane, so far as I can see. I think these first showed up summer before last, but (growing from seed) had a very small amount of leaves and no real canes to speak of. So anything that grew last summer would be what would bear fruit. I haven't seen any sight of fruit yet, but I think they've earned the right to stay under my tree for at least one more year.... in anticipation :-)

• selkie_b
    16 years ago

The other option for #1 is a type of ornamental currant - I have a big bush that looks just like it with those same vicious thorns. It doesn't produce any fruit, but does have fragrant white currant flowers in spring and ok color in fall. Heck, they are all the same family :) Hope it *is* a gooseberry, then at least you can eat it!

-Marie

• leftwood
    16 years ago

The other option for #1 is a type of ornamental currant
    I had considered currants, especially as gooseberries usually have bristles in addition to thorns. But dismissed it since my experiences with currants is less thorniness. But Marie has proof otherwise, so I concur it is a strong possibility.

The easiest and sure way to tell the difference is the flower(or berry) arrangement on the plant. They will be born singly in the leaf axils (where a leaf meets the stem) for gooseberries. You can have more than one flower per axil, but each has its own stem connecting it directly to the branch. Arrangement will be in bunches on a stem emerging from the leaf axils with currants.

Until then, I don't know that an untrained eye could see a difference at all.

• Julie
    16 years ago

Looks like currents to me as well- too young to bear fruit- and possible even flower- but currents they probably are.
    I have had a bumper crop of currents this year! Big Juicy TART red ones! They all are volunteers from when the buckthorn was pulled and removed. They like to ramble around the woods out in the back yard as an under story planting- I am glad to have them there!
    Your birds may like to have them once they bear fruit- I think they will bear fruit- otherwise how would they have been "planted" by the birds? They will make much more of them selves and ramble around a bit if they behave anything like mine...
    Enjoy!

• rubybaby43
    16 years ago

#1 If it's thorny then it's gooseberry! We had them growing in our small but completely wooded backyard when we first moved in. They are a PITA!! But DH was able to remove most of them. Now I am slowly taking care of the few suckers that come up.

If we had more space I might not mind so much....but those babies are painful to walk through and I'm trying to beautify things back there!
    Kristy :)

• leftwood
    16 years ago

Hmmm . . .

My Clove currant does not have any thorns. I checked the wild currants in the woods, and neither do they (practically). I'd say the identity is still unsure.

• hostaholic2 z 4, MN
    16 years ago

My currants don't have thorns, my gooseberries do. I think leftwood has the right idea about checking the flowers and berries when they are large enough to bear fruit. By the way the currents make great jelly and the gooseberries are delicious in jam or jelly.

• lynnsherbs
    16 years ago

# 2 might be the dwarf raspberry. I got one up at Prarie Restorations this spring. It's kind of a viney thing, and I'm not sure if it will produce berried. I can't remember the first part of the latin name. I think the second part was puebescens or something like.
    Lynn

Sponsored