Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
ich_bin_nathan

Perrenials for late summer

ich_bin_nathan
16 years ago

Here is the question-

What perrenials do you have that bloom between now and early fall ? In my garden I have a succession of flowers that goes great from tulips to lilies, but after that the show dwindles down and is left to mainly rebloomers such as delphiniums and roses. So I am looking for things to extend the season and keep the show up but I'm not sure what to plant...

I am looking for reliable hardy perrenials that would tolerate drier conditions. (being that I live in sandy soil)

Any suggestions appreciated

Thanks in advance

Nathan

Comments (8)

• windytown
    16 years ago

A few of my favorites are:

garden phlox (many colors, deadhead for repeat bloom)

black-eyed Susan

coneflower

daylily

hollyhock

garden mum

gallardia (blanketflower)

coreopsis (Sunrise and Moonbeam)

aster

Veronica (deadhead, it keeps blooming)

Russian sage

Oriental lilies (bloom later than the Asiatic types)

perennial herbs

decorative grasses

I also plant many annuals for constant color. I know you asked about perennials, but a lot of annuals may as well be considered because they re-seed so much. :)

Annuals I love for their propagating abilities are cosmos (tall variety), cleome, snapdragons, nicotiana, pansies, violas and sunflowers. I'm sure I missed a few.

I yank a lot of the seedlings where they'll interfere with the perennials, but it's fun to let a few come up in unexpected spots.

A tall volunteer yellow sunflower is about to bloom amidst a planting of deep blue delphiniums. I can't wait to see the contrast.

Sorry to go on and on. This is a topic that vexed me for a few years and I like to share my experience.

• duluthinbloomz4
    16 years ago

In addition to the perennials listed above... platycodon, baby's breath, salvia will rebloom if dead-headed, feverfew, dianthus, nepeta. And there are so many more I can't even begin to think. This is the first year I've made good use of annuals to fill in the bloom gaps - statice, all heights of snapdragons, verbena, petunias, portulaca, Harlequin Dahlias, pansies, alyssum, impatients.

I do have some late Oriental lilies, those along with the phlox, feverfew, Black eyed Susans, plus some repeat blooming daylilies carry me into the fall. It takes the first hard frost to knock down the annuals.

• Julie
    16 years ago

How about monkshood- japanese anemones- dare I say it, obedient plant, helenium, adenathora, asthers, lysmachia, asthrantia, rudebeckias, ruellia humulis, dianthus, coryopsis family, dicentra eximina, monarda-
    There are quite a few out there- but annuals do provide the constant color through out the season with perennials providing a brief flash - kind of like fireworks in the night sky-

• leaveswave
    16 years ago

Plants by month of bloom:
    http://excursion.websitewelcome.com/~prairie/plant_info/Month/month_main.htm

Plants by habitat (you can select sand, dry, and your sun conditions):
    http://excursion.websitewelcome.com/~prairie/plant_info/by_habitat/search_main.htm

Searchable plant database (you can specify your criteria, selects from 230 plants):
    http://bluethumb.org/plants/?

University of MN Extension Service searchable database (don't neglect to select "Herbaceous")
    http://www.sustland.umn.edu/plant/plantdata.asp

• meeperx
    16 years ago

Here are some of my favorites:

Hardy Geranium 'Rozanne'
    Hardy Hibiscus-'Lord Baltimore' 'Plum Crazy' and 'Kopper King'
    Tiger Lily, Stargazer Lily (Last lilies to bloom in my garden)
    Royal Catchfly
    Pink Butterfly Weed
    Dahlia(Not a perennial-but fairly easy to overwinter)
    Heliopsis 'Tuscan Sun', 'Prairie Sunset' and 'Lorraine Sunshine'
    Malva sylvestris mauritanicus
    Mother of Thyme
    Helen's Flower 'Mardi Gras'
    Echinacea 'Razzmatazz' and 'Vintage Wine'
    Sedum 'Purple Emporer' 'Frosty Morn' and 'Alboroseum Mediovariegatum'
    Tradescantia 'Sweet Kate'
    Toad Lily 'Tojen'
    Rudbeckia 'Cherokee Sunset'
    Asters 'Wood's Pink', 'Bluebird', 'Professor Kippenburg'
    Gallardia 'Baby Cole', 'Baby Sun'
    Coreopsis 'Creme Brulee' and 'Sweet Dreams' (sweet dreams is marginally hardy)
    Cinquefoil 'Monarch's Velvet'
    Cimifuga 'Brunette'
    Thalictrum 'Lavender Mist'
    Volcano Phlox 'David'
    Monarda
    Ligularia
    Blackberry Lily
    Achillea
    Dianthus
    Shasta Daisy
    Turtlehead
    Mexican Hat
    Cardinal Flower (lobelia)
    Joe Pye Weed
    Liatris

Shrubs:
    Hydrangea
    Clethra
    Potentilla

Also Some Vines:

Honeysuckle 'Dropmore Scarlet'
    Wisteria 'Blue Moon'
    Clematis 'Sweet Autumn'

• ich_bin_nathan
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Wow, what a list. Thank you all for contributing...I will be at the local nursery to see what I can find.

Thanks again,
    Nathan

• leftwood
    16 years ago

And REALLY late lilies would be Lilium speciosum, and Lilium formosanum.
    Also very late are perennial asters, and Lespedeza species and cultivars like Pink Fountains.

• meeperx
    16 years ago

Leftwood-thanks, can't wait to try the lilim speciosum!

Here are a few more that I forgot

Globe Thistle
    Sea Holly
    Bottle Gentian
    Russian Sage is great this time of year-especially in dry,poor areas-would make a really great combination with purpleleaf sand cherry and echinacea

Sponsored
Custom Home Works
Average rating: 4.6 out of 5 stars10 Reviews
Franklin County's Award-Winning Design, Build and Remodeling Expert