Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
runningriot

Minneapolis Tomato tasting

runningriot
17 years ago

Dowling Community Garden in Minneapolis presents the third annual Heirloom Festival on August 19, 10am-1pm.

Heirloom Festival is a community celebration dedicated to growing and enjoying heirloom varieties of vegetables, fruits and flowers. As part of the festival, we offer for tasting 40-50 varieties of tomatoes. If you live in the Twin Cities area, please join us!

You can also tour our heirloom demonstration garden, learn about saving seeds, and meet some really nice gardeners. The festival this year features old-fashioned flowers, with floral demonstrations, crafts, recipes and more.

Visit Dowling's web site for more information:

http://www.dowlingcommunitygarden.org/

Hope to see some of you there!

Susan

Comments (10)

• zenpotter
    17 years ago

Susan,

Thank you for posting this, I don't think I will be in town, but If I am I will stop by.

Pauline

• selkie_b
    17 years ago

DRAT! Another thing I want to do the 19th and will be completely unable to do...

*snicker* I think it's societal revenge on me - I'll be kicked back at my parent's house sipping cool wine - in rural France!

:)
    -Marie

• sallym
    17 years ago

Thanks for the post Susan. Hope to make it. The black cherry plants (seed from you) are HUGE and I can't wait to taste one. Have a good time in France Marie!! Yeah, that's rough, huh?
    Sally

• selkie_b
    17 years ago

OOooohhh I got some of those Black Cherry seeds too - mine are lookin' lovely!

-Marie

• runningriot
    Original Author
    17 years ago

I picked my first Black Cherry tomatoes a few days ago. Other tomatoes so far have been disappointing, a bit mushy, I'm guessing from our crazy weather. But these were pretty tasty. Plant is 1-2 feet taller than my Texas Tomato cage--guess I should have spent the extra $ for the extensions!
    Susan

• bitterwort
    17 years ago

Don't forget: the tasting (and heirloom festival) is this Saturday. So far, the weather looks promising and the heat this summer has helped along some of the later-ripening varieties, so who knows what could turn up for tasting. See you there!

• lazyweeder
    17 years ago

There were a ton of different varieties at the festival. I didn't realize that tomatoes could taste so different. The Snow White cherry, Pineapple, and Pink Ping Pong were my favorites.

• bitterwort
    17 years ago

Isn't the variety of colors and tastes great? Thanks for coming and thanks for the feedback too! I missed the Pineapple, but I should have a ripe one of my own soon; I agree with you about the Pink Ping Pong. I'm glad you liked Snow White too--it was mine and now I know why I was growing them: for you! (I prefer more assertive cherries, I guess.)

Thanks again for your report!

• lazyweeder
    17 years ago

I wish I would have known you didn't like the Snow White I would have potted it up and taken it with me.lol. My tomatoe plants aren't doin so hot this year. The Brown Cherry was gone by the time I got there and I probably would've given the Black Cherry higher marks had I not had it so close to the Snow White. Let me know if you have any seeds for any of them this fall. I think I have a few varieties left over from this year.

• bitterwort
    17 years ago

Ah, the Snow White is at my house, so don't be prowling around the garden looking for it. *grin* Actually, the Snow White was a freebie from Sandhill this year, and it was a generous pack. If you send me an email message with your address, I'll send you a few seeds. I didn't get everything bagged successfully this year, but I should have seeds of a few other things this fall (and some from last year too).