Return to the Minnesota Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Deer flies are killin' me!!!

Posted by lucy_girl MN 3 (My Page) on
Tue, Jul 19, 11 at 22:31

I have only lived in Minnesota (Leech Lake area) for a couple years but I just don't remember the deer flies EVER being this bad!

1) Does this year seem worse to you folks?
2) Any suggestions, homemade remedies or secret weapons to combat the little monsters?
3) Or should I just quit my whining?

Sigh.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Deer flies are killin' me!!!

1) They don't seem to be quite as bad as years past here in central Indiana.
2) Deep woods insect spray usually works pretty well for me.
3) Yes, quit your whining that high pitched sound is attracting them :)

o

Hey girl,
No whining allowed. After years of grumbling that mosquitoe repellents should address other critters too, I found the large orange capped "Off" family mosquito and insect repellent is safer than some. You can't miss the orange printing on the label either. I chose the pump spray, it doesn't take much.

We attended an outdoor play with friends and out of desperation, we tried it for the biting flies. I was surprised it worked, cuz I thought it was only for mosquitoes. Later, of course, I read the label and found it was for all sorts of critters, including flies. gramma jan

o

I've trapped over 11,000 deer flies in the first 5 weeks of the 2012 deer fly season in Michigan using my version of the trolling deer fly trap developed by Dr. Mizell. My trap uses an umbrella, blue cups, and Tangle-Trap (purchased through Amazon). Check out my blog for how to make and use this easy effective trap. I've also posted my trapping data there. Happy trapping!

http://deerflytrapumbrella.blogspot.com/

Here is a link that might be useful: deer fly trap umbrella

o

Is there a reason for using blue solo cups instead of the red ones?

Crazy how well it has worked for you.

I have to try some kind of a variation of this !

o

I used blue cups based on info published by Dr. Russell Mizell (see my blog posting entitled "credit" for his website). It works and so I haven't messed with it .... the ol' "if it ain't broke, don't fix it" thing.

o

• Posted by RpR_ 3-4 (My Page) on
    Mon, Jul 30, 12 at 22:46

Are they worse this year?

Well I have been bitten by more in the past three weeks than the past three decades.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Minnesota Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here