Return to the Minnesota Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Need help identifying green apple tree!

Posted by mntransplantfromia Dakota Co. (My Page) on
Tue, Jul 29, 08 at 22:55

I just moved to MN from IA and we have this tree in our backyard that we're trying to figure out what it is. It produces small green apples that are not quite the size of a golden delicious. They do have faint light green spots. At this time they are VERY bitter. Unfortunately we moved after it flowered so we didn't see what they look like (which would probably be helfpul). Anyway, the sellers told us they thought it was some kind of "Japanese fruit tree" but when doing a search I find nothing resembling it. Any ideas?

Thanks! :o)

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Need help identifying green apple tree!

Maybe a pic would be helpful:

o

I see nobody has responded, so I guess I will stick my neck out on this one. Maybe by now yours has colored up a bit and grown a tad. I have 20 various apples trees down in Dodge county about 30 miles south of you and none of my apples have the shape of yours. However, its shape and the lobes at the bottom suggest it might be a Red Delicious. Yes, they can be hardy in Minnesota and it was the leading commercial apple here before the winter of 1978 when most of them succumbed to the extra ordinary cold temps that winter. Then most commercial orchards yanked them out and replaced them with Haralson, Regent, or Fireside. Since then most orchards have gone with Honeycrisp or Zestar. Theres another small orchard over in Dodge Center that has two 20 year old Red Delicious trees, they bear fairly well, and they are absolutely wonderful apples when eaten straight from the tree. It is only after they sit around in cold storage for 8 or 9 months do they taste supermarket disgusting. So see if they get bigger and turn red. If they are Red Delicious they should be ready to harvest around September 20th, although everything this year is two weeks late.

o

You might try taking a sample apple to the MN Arboretum for identification.

o

• Posted by may8 Z4 MN (My Page) on
    Mon, Aug 11, 08 at 1:09

It looks like the wild apple tree in my yard too. Mine is small, maybe less than 10 feet tall. I hope it is Red Delicious. It's the kind I always buy because I do not know much about other varieties. One of the seeds from the mulch must have started years ago. Last year it had a few apples, but they were all gone one day. The squirrels probably ate them all. They were still green and about 1 to 1 1/2 inch in diameter. This year there are more apples and I put clear plastic water bottles around some of them. Hope that will help. They are green and about 1 1/2 inch now. I accidentally pulled some of them off and tried one. It was not bad, even though it was not ripe yet.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Minnesota Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here