Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
snowguy716

My bur oak

snowguy716
15 years ago

I bought a Bur Oak last year from a local nursery. It's about 1.5 in dbh and about 12 feet tall and was grown in a pot. I wouldn't have bought it except it was such a great price.

Anyway, I noticed the foliage was lighter colored than normal bur oak foliage, so I planted it, and then in the fall I worked some bone meal into the soil.

Well, this spring (which was about a month late), the buds swelled and turned green and the leaves just started to emerge and then they stopped... and here it is July and they haven't gone any further.

I've checked and it is still juicy green under the bark. I've kept it watered about once every 5 days (we have very sandy soil) and I have it mulched... but nothing further has happened.

I think it *may* have been two frosts we had at the end of May.. would they have killed the new leaves? The natural bur oaks around were late to emerge, but they didn't seem to be affected by this...

Any ideas?

I haven't seen any sprouts coming up from the base, so either the tree is just dormant and taking its time or it is so far gone that it can't even send up a sprout...

Any help would be appreciated.

Comments (3)

Sponsored
Dream Design Construction LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Loudoun County's Innovative General Contractors