Return to the Minnesota Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
My bur oak

Posted by snowguy716 3a MN (My Page) on
Sat, Jul 5, 08 at 23:28

I bought a Bur Oak last year from a local nursery. It's about 1.5 in dbh and about 12 feet tall and was grown in a pot. I wouldn't have bought it except it was such a great price.

Anyway, I noticed the foliage was lighter colored than normal bur oak foliage, so I planted it, and then in the fall I worked some bone meal into the soil.

Well, this spring (which was about a month late), the buds swelled and turned green and the leaves just started to emerge and then they stopped... and here it is July and they haven't gone any further.

I've checked and it is still juicy green under the bark. I've kept it watered about once every 5 days (we have very sandy soil) and I have it mulched... but nothing further has happened.

I think it *may* have been two frosts we had at the end of May.. would they have killed the new leaves? The natural bur oaks around were late to emerge, but they didn't seem to be affected by this...

Any ideas?

I haven't seen any sprouts coming up from the base, so either the tree is just dormant and taking its time or it is so far gone that it can't even send up a sprout...

Any help would be appreciated.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: My bur oak

Wish I knew what to tell you. It sounds as though it's still alive. I think if it were me, I would call my county extension agent and talk to them, maybe even have them come out and take a look.

o

I agree with hostaholic...if the darn thing is going to die, then at least you can (if you have one) return it in time to be replaced by warranty. Or perhaps they may tell you to hang in there it will be fine. I don't know tons about trees, but I do think that the buds should have survived the frosts, it's not like it is a marginal variety of tree. Good luck, wish I knew more...Helen.

o

Well, the two things that are possibilities are

1) There was a thick infestation of Mile-a-minute growing around the base of the tree... and no matter how much I pull and pull and pull.. it just comes back. So I put some more mulch on it yesterday in a wider (a good 5' across now) and put it to about 3" deep. There is a chemical in mile-a-minute that prevents other plants from growing around it. I really doubt this is it, though.

2) The other bur oak saplings I planted have just been leafing out in the past 2 weeks. I don't know if they were forming roots under the soil or what was going on.. but the bigger tree could be experiencing hte same transplant shock and thus the later emergence.

I'll have to call the SWCD and see what they have to say.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Minnesota Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here