Return to the Minnesota Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
What flying bug just stung me twice at 10pm in the garden?

Posted by srj19 4 (My Page) on
Thu, Aug 30, 12 at 1:20

So there I was wearing a headlamp out in the garden well after dark (my only opportunity to water) when I suddenly hear some winged creature close to me and I feel "something" on my neck and shoulder. It wasn't immediately painfull but grew in intensity. All I knew at first was something made contact.

I see no stinger at all, just welts with a dot in the center. Can this be a bee or wasp well after dark? The other strange thing is the the intense sting was fairly short lived, now I just have a raised area and some dull pain not too bad.

Has to be a wasp to get me twice huh, but after dark? Seems strange. There are no stinging moths or anything are there?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: What flying bug just stung me twice at 10pm in the garden?

I have no clue! Maybe twin mosquitoes!? Not funny....

o

Well I had the pleasure of being stung in the fore arm (though a long sleeve shirt) yesterday but a larger bee. Again no stinger? I thought you always had a visible stinger that broke off but maybe not. The welt looked the same.

This was mid-dusk as I attempted to get to the back of some corn. Probably was a bee or two originally that stayed out past their bedtime.

o

• Posted by RpR_ 3-4 (My Page) on
    Thu, Sep 6, 12 at 23:28

You were more likely bit a some type of fly.

Wasp and bee stings do not go away quickly.

o

I didn't see what got me twice in the dark but the welt looked the same at the third time (when I saw a large bodied bee on my sleeve). I was surpised I didn't see a stinger.

I didn't go away totally, I had pretty good inflamation and burning for 10 minutes, I applied some kind of anti itch stick thing and it got a lot better. But I could still feel it if I rubbed it later into the evening.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Minnesota Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here