Return to the Minnesota Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Aunt Dee Wisteria

Posted by chris32599 9b-10a AZ usa (My Page) on
Wed, Aug 3, 05 at 6:00

I bought an 1 gal Aunt Dee wisteria from Colorado last year for my garden in the mts. It grew will this summer, but how many years before I will see any flowers?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Aunt Dee Wisteria

I have had one for about 10-12 years, I lost count, anyway....mine has bloomed twice. I can never figure out what I am doing wrong. I just have 2 clematis growing through it so I get flowers in that area every year.

o

It has been reported to take sometimes as many as ten years to bloom. This plant responds better to "tough love", for example, don't fertilize it. I found a great guide on the 'net to pruning to encourage flowering and it worked well for me. But I think I have a generally happy plant; last year mine bloomed four times and this year twice so far.

I see you live in quite a different zone and climate, so I'm not sure how that would affect things.

o

I just bought an Aunt Dee myself (Wisteria macrostachya) which I plan to place on the south side of my house as I've read they need full sun. I've also read that they require regular pruning in order to promote blossoming. Excessive green growth inhibits flowering. I just read an article about an Aunt Dee in Maine which was loaded with blooms its 3rd year thanks to regular pruning. So, good luck (to us both)! :)

o

I have five 10 ft. high Aunt Dee wisteria plants growing on the south side of our pergola. This is their 3rd year. They all had a few blooms this spring. About 3 weeks ago one of the plants began to turn pale green/yellow. Now the leaves are curling up and dying. The stem looks fine. Nothing has changed for this plant. Do you have any ideas what might cause this plant to get sick and what I might do to restore it to health?

Thanks,
Jonathan

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Minnesota Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here