Return to the Minnesota Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Saw some quince fruit at the MN State Fair this week!

Posted by nick_b79 4/5 Southeast MN (My Page) on
Tue, Aug 27, 13 at 7:43

The sign said this was the first time they'd ever been shown at the fair. What pissed me off to no end was that I had planted an Aromatnaya quince two years ago that was growing very well, only to see it killed this spring by gophers eating the roots! That could have been my quince fruit up there! :-(

Anyway, I didn't see a specific variety listed on the placard. Does anyone else know what variety this might have been? I was going to replace my quince tree next spring (and buy some gopher poison), but want to know if there's a better choice than the Aromatnaya for our climate.

Thanks!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Saw some quince fruit at the MN State Fair this week!

• Posted by jel48 Z4 Michigan (My Page) on
    Tue, Sep 3, 13 at 8:30

That's very interesting! I don't have any suggestions (and no longer live in MN). I'm on the Keweenaw Peninsula on the Michigan U.P. and our climate is a little more moderate. We planted two quince bushes this past spring and they seem to be doing well so far. I'd have to look at the tags though, to be able to tell you varieties, and of course have no history to go on yet and again, the slightly different climate. I'll be watching this thread with interest though!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Minnesota Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here