Return to the Minnesota Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Broken Ferns and Fall Prep

Posted by iclimbtrees none (My Page) on
Tue, Aug 13, 13 at 9:54

Hello!

Anyone with ferns....
Some of their leaves (arms?) have the ends broken off.
Will they grow back next Spring or should I prune the damaged leaves?

Thanks Much!
Sharron

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Broken Ferns and Fall Prep

Fern leaves die out completely above ground in our climate. New leaves will appear next spring. They'll be fine next year. I wouldn't bother pruning them, myself. Too much other work to do! :)

o

I have lots of ferns, and they are looking pretty ratty this time of year, they usually do mid August, especially if it has been dry.

I think its easier to cut away all of the dead stuff in early spring, than to deal with it in the Fall, but it may depend on where yours are. Mine are in the back so I dont need to worry about them looking a mess.

o

Assuming we are talking about the common Ostrich fern, I knock the fronds down in late fall when they are so brittle they snap off easily. I leave them where they fall but move them off the crowns. I prefer doing this in fall because I do not want the crowns buried under frond litter come springtime so it is easier to harvest the fiddleheads - one of my favorite spring "vegetables". :)

Agree with others, if you do not do anything in fall the weight of the winter snow will do most of the work for you. The fiddleheads will find a way to poke through come springtime or you could do cleanup at that time, but avoid stepping on the crowns. If you leave the litter, the mess will be hidden once the fronds are fully unfurled.

Also agree that they get quite ugly this time of year (which is why I do not consider them to be a "front yard" landscaping plant), but they are so incredibly beautiful in May/June that I accept it. Sometimes we have to tolerate the ugly to get the glorious.

-Tom

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Minnesota Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here