Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
heleninramsey

New to Garden Web

heleninramsey
16 years ago

I have recently become a garden web user (after finding that so many of my google searches ended up here) and am so enjoying the forums, especially the MN forum, finally people I have something in common with. I am wondering about the exchanges and swaps...I don't know if I have anything that is interesting enough to swap yet, I have been in my house now for 6 years but have spent alot of time just getting gardens in... and reinventing 20 year old ugly landscape (goodbye ugly old junipers!) I am not new to gardening...I've been at it for about 15 years (my first 3 years were in California so I don't think they count _ zone 9...)but I am new to this online stuff, so any info would be appreciated.

Thanks, Helen.

Comments (8)

• mngardener1
    16 years ago

Good morning, Helen!

I am also some what new as well, but am having a blast! I have found that since I found Garden Web, I have become a "dumpster diver", or I feel like one when I am checking out my gardens and others, looking for dead heads to collect seeds! :0) Although our time for planting is just about done, you could still get involved in some seed trades. Check out the seed exchange and if you would like, post that you are a newby and that you are looking for seeds that people would like to share. That will get you going and you will meet lots of wonderful people! Good luck and welcome to GW!!! Jodi

• doucanoe
    16 years ago

Welcome to both of you! Helen, I moved from Ramsey about 5-1/2 years ago, lived just off Co Rd 5 and 175th. I am out in the boonies, now....the others can vouch for that! LOL

You should participate in the swaps if you can. They are a lot of fun, you get lots of good stuff, and meet lots of great MN gardeners!

Linda

• rubybaby43
    16 years ago

:::waving to Helen:::

Hi Helen! I'm in Ramsey as well...have also been here for 6 years. Welcome to MN (even though it's a bit belated) and to the MN gardening board!
    Kristy :)

• hostaholic2 z 4, MN
    16 years ago

Welcome! I also really enjoy the Mn gardening forum. It's always nice to talk to people who understand what you mean when you say I'm a MN zone 4.

• deweymn
    16 years ago

Welcome Helen. Hope you enjoy the forum. Don't forget to use the clippings feature, sure helps to find things you want to refer back to.

• Julie
    16 years ago

Hey there Helen!
    Welcome aboard! It is always nice to meet and hear from new posters-
    Please- do plan on coming to the swap. It is always a surprise as to who will come- and just what they may have to share this season. Your usual garden plants may be just what someone else is hoping for- and some one else may bring just what you wanted. And- even if there is nothing there that you may want to bring home- It is wonderful to put faces to the names you see posting here. I think we are a great bunch of folks!
    You can always look to our exchange area in the MN forum to post- or to read what is being posted for exchange- Or- you can look at each members trading page to see what they may want- and have to offer in return.
    Another GREAT way to enhance your garden is to look to the WinterSowing site for way too easy seed germination tips- and seed trades as well as the seed exchange or round robin exchange forums.
    Hope to meet you at the swap-
    Julie

• buncobabe2u
    16 years ago

Welcome Helen. I'm a newbie and only been on Gardenweb 1 year. I attended my first swap last Fall in the rain and had the best time. I felt like you that I wouldn't have anything too new or interesting, but I went anyways. All who participated welcomed me and were extremely gracious. I brought hostas, iris, daylilies and a few other things and brought home different daylilies, hostas, sedum, monarda, and a few indoor plants. I wasn't able to attend the spring swap because of my kids sports activities, but I'm going to the fall swap. Come join us.

Mary

• heleninramsey
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Wow, I feel at home already, thank you for the helpful hints and the welcomes. I would love to attend the fall swap, I even discovered that I have more to divide than I thought, at the very least I would have daylilies, iris and Goldsturm, but I believe the date is September 15 and my niece is getting married that day. I will be awaiting the spring swap and am going to look into the seed exchanges to (at least) add more color to my little prairie! Thanks again...Helen.

Sponsored