Return to the Minnesota Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
compost to old old flower bed

Posted by gramma_jan_mn_zn_4 (My Page) on
Wed, Aug 24, 11 at 11:00

I have hesitated to ask this, cuz it sounds dumb, but is it possible to add compost and other amendments to old old gardens where this year I notice some plants are getting smaller? I have read that it is not advisable to spot improve near maples, cuz the maple roots will seek the better soil and choke the plants.

Besides compost, what should I add to my clay? Should I do it right now or add it in the spring? They don't look like they are in immediate danger.

How should I do it? Gardening is hard now, so I want it as simple as possible, plus I don't want to suffocate roots of existing perennials or maple trees in one area, so I am in a quandary.

Thanks for your much needed help. gramma jan

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: compost to old old flower bed

Hi, gramma jan, if you have compost then by all means put it on, liberally. It will help retain moisture, especially important if we have a dry autumn; will eventually release nutrients; will help keep weeds down; will improve tilth, i.e., soil texture (especially good for heavy clay soils). In my experience, compost is the single best thing you can do for your garden, at virtually any time of the year. Bring it on! Gary

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Minnesota Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here