Return to the Minnesota Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
master gardener sponsored plant swap!

Posted by leaveswave (MN z4) (My Page) on
Sun, Aug 19, 07 at 11:00

We have our a fall meeting in Plymouth every year and also host a plant swap. Here are the details for this year:

Monday, 09/10
5:00 pm
Plymouth Creek Ctr, 14800 34th Av N

Also, take the opportunity to tour the Millenium Garden behind the building.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: master gardener sponsored plant swap!

Sorry, but I am still new to this. Can you tell a little bit about plannt swaps and what you should bring to this? I mean... besides the obvious. How many do people typically bring? What is good to bring? It will be my first plant swap, but I am definately interested in contributing.
Thank you!

o

Hi there and THANKS Leaves!
GB- This swap is a bit different than any other I have gone to. People bring almost anything garden/plant related- pots- books- trellis- tools- fishpond fish(!)- Mini Blinds- Bulbs- tubers- fruit and produce- and of course- many potted and labeled plants.
You drive in- park your vehicle- unload what you are offering behind your vehicle- and walk around and help yourself to what ever anyone else is offering- load up your own unwanted/unclaimed offerings- and go home. Fini.
It is a swap- so bringing something to swap is the idea- but you are not limited to/by any amount that I know of. I have routinely seen truck loads- to a flat or two in the trunk.
It is a good idea to bring a sharpie and paper to help in IDing the plants that show up with out labels- there always seem to be a few.... Most folks bring what they need to or are able to thin- or what they have enough of - or too much of- or just plain want to get rid of that someone else may want. Native to exotic- common to rare- indoor to outdoor- it all goes at this swap (and most others as well).
It is always a good idea to pot up plants at least a week or two in advance to bring to any swaps. That way you are helping to insure someone will be getting a healthier happy established plant- which is much better than something dug up in a rush that may be DOA- very embarrassing for the bringer- and very sad for the receiver.
Maybe I will see you there!

Julie (usually in the husband's white van)

o

Thanks Julie! I appreciate the tips! I will start putting plants into pots very soon!
Thanks again.

o

Just a quick FYI:

Some folks might be arriving as early as 4:30. The city forester is telling his network the swap is 4:30-6:30. The MG newsletter that just came out lists 5:00-6:30.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Minnesota Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here