pepper jelly

lonemuchow
18 years ago

does anyone have a recipe for hot pepper jelly

Lone

Comments (9)

• debplus3
    18 years ago

I didn't have a recipe that I've made, but I found these recipes on the internet.

Hot pepper jelly recipe

1/4 c. ground hot pepper
    3/4 c. ground bell peppers
    1 1/2 c. vinegar
    6 1/2 c. sugar
    1 bottle Certa
    Wash peppers, cut and remove seeds. Grind, saving juice. Pour juice over peppers in large cooking pot. Add sugar, vinegar. Mix well. Boil 10 minutes. Remove from heat, add Certa, stir well. Add few drops of either green or red coloring. Cool slightly and put in glass jars. Turn upside down to seal. BE SURE TO WEAR RUBBER GLOVES WHILE CLEANING AND PREPARING PEPPERS.

Pepper jelly recipe

1 1/4 c. chopped green hot pepper*
    1 1/2 c. chopped green sweet pepper*
    6 1/2 c. sugar
    1 1/2 c. white vinegar
    1 bottle liquid pectin (certa)
    Red or green food coloring
    Mix peppers, sugar and vinegar; boil 10 minutes. Add green or red food coloring. Add pectin; boil 5 minutes. Strain, pour in hot jar and seal. Makes 6 jars. Great with cream cheese on crackers. *NOTE: It can be made mild by using 3/4 cup chopped green hot pepper; 2 cup chopped green sweet pepper. And if want red jelly used; red hot pepper 1 1/4 cup or 3/4 cup; red sweet pepper, 1 1/2 cup or 2 cup; and use red food coloring.

Hope this helps you.
    Deb

• sandysgardens
    18 years ago

Sounds good - 3/4 of my household loves hot peppers and with the garden being very generous with hot peppers this year, I might try one of the above recipes.

Sandy

• SuzyQ2
    18 years ago

Here are a few from the Harvest Forum. I've tried them and they are good :-)

Cranberry Jalapeno Jelly

3 cups cranberry juice -- (or cran-raspberry juice)
    1 cup jalapeno peppers -- chopped and seeded
    7 cups sugar
    1 cup vinegar
    2 pouches liquid fruit pectin (Certo) -- 3 ounces each
    10 drops red food coloring -- optional

Prepare your jars and get all canning supplies ready (you'll need 8 half pint jars). Place cranberry juice and peppers in a blender; cover and process until peppers are fully chopped. Strain through a double thickness of cheesecloth. Pour the strained juice into a large kettle; add sugar. Bring to a full rolling boil, stirring constantly. Stir in vinegar and pectin; return to a full rolling boil. Boil for 1 minute, stirring constantly. Remove from the heat; skim foam. Add food coloring, if desired. Pour into hot sterilized jars, leaving 1/4 inch headspace. Adjust caps. Process for 10 minutes in a boiling-water bath.

Habanero Gold Jelly

1/3 cup finely sliced dried apricots
    3/4 cup white vinegar
    1/4 up finely diced red onion
    1/4 cup finely diced sweet red pepper
    1/4 cup finely diced habanero peppers, including seeds
    OR 1/4 cup diced, combined jalapeno and Scotch Bonnet peppers
    3 cups granulated sugar
    1 pouch Certo liquid pectin

Cut apricots into 1/8 inch slices. Measure into a large deep stainless steel saucepan with vinegar; let stand 4 hours. Individually, cut onion and seeded peppers into 1/8 inch slices; cut slices into 1/4 inch dice. Measure each ingredient; add to apricots. Stir in sugar.
    Over high heat, bring to a full roiling boil. Stirring constantly, boil hard 1 minute. Remove from heat. Immediately stir in pectin, mixing well.
    Pour jelly into hot jar, dividing solids equally among jars and filling each jar to within 1/4 inch of top rim. Wipe rims. Apply lids.

Process 10 minutes in BWB. Cool upright, until lids pop down, about 30 minutes. When lids are concave but the jelly is still hot, carefully grasp jar without disturbing lid and invert, twist, or rotate each jar to distribute solids throughout jelly. The jar can be inverted temporarily but do not allow it to stand upside-down for prolonged periods.

Repeat as necessary during the cooling/setting time, until solids remain suspended in the jelly.

You might pop over to the Harvest Forum and ask the group to post the oh-so-popular Peach Jalapeno Jelly recipe and the Apricot Pepper recipe (this one is really good)....

• october17
    18 years ago

This stuff sounds great. What do you eat with pepper jelly? Do you use in on meat, crackers? I've always been so tempted to buy some but need to know how to eat it!

• Greenthumb
    18 years ago

Thanks for posting the recipes. I will need to try a couple of them.

My favorite way to eat hot pepper jelly is to spread light cream cheese on "Sociables" crackers and then put a blob of hot pepper jelly on top of the cream cheese. Very tasty! I have to limit myself or I will just eat until everything is gone.

Sociables are a savory cracker and are very good with pepper jelly and cream cheese. You could use almost any cracker, but I like the flavor that Sociables provide.
    Mike

• lonemuchow
    Original Author
    18 years ago

the one I made with the cranberry juice is very good, I served it yesterday, when I had a large holiday party, I placed a block of creme cheese and poured a small jar over it, then people could just take some with a cracker, everbody loved it.
    Lone

• Sue1
    18 years ago

I made 5 more batches using Certo liquid pectin and it worked. The previous batches were made with Ball liquid pectin and they all failed to set, so the Ball pectin was the problem. Pepper jelly is gret on cream cheese, i put ahunk of check out, cover it with the jelly and serve with Old London mini wheat crackers. Its also great with turkey, pork, chicken and sometimes I use as glaze when grilling.

• lynnsherbs
    18 years ago

I did a jalapeno jelly this year for the first time. It is surprisingly sweet with an afterbite!

3/4# jalapenos, seeded
    2c cider vinegar
    6c sugar
    2 Certo pouches

Puree peppers and 1c vinegar in food processor. Pour into large kettle, add 1c vinegar and the sugar. Bring to a rolling boil and cook for 10 minutes stirring occasionally. Stir in pectin, return to boil and cook 1 minute. Ladle into jars and seal. Process 10 minutes in water bath. Makes about 5 1/2 pints.

Lynn

Sponsored
Dave Fox Design Build Remodelers
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars49 Reviews
Columbus Area's Luxury Design Build Firm | 17x Best of Houzz Winner!