Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
joelle55113_gw

Japanese Red Maple

joelle55113
18 years ago

Does anyone know of a Japanese red maple that would withstand the winters in Minnesota? I would just love one in my garden but they are pricey and don't usually survive our cold. Thank you. Joelle

Comments (10)

• firethorn
    18 years ago

I don't know if they have special protections for it, but the arboretum grows a type called acer palmatum. I suppose you could call them and ask? It's very pretty.

{{gwi:1053168}}

• leftwood
    18 years ago

Notice that one is growing in a pot. Over the winter they bring it into a barn or somewhere protected. But ther are some. Greenthumb(Mike) has a cultivar that seems to stand up quite well. Can't remember what it is though.
    Rick

• Greenthumb
    18 years ago

My Acer palmatum Robinson's Red has done very well in my garden. The tree has seen -25°F without damage and the tree is in one of THE most exposed spots in my yard. I protect the tree with a cylinder of 4' tall chicken wire covered with burlap, and that's it. I do not put anything inside the chicken wire enclosure. The root zone is well mulched.

Robinson's Red is a seed-grown selection from a tree growing in Ohio, at Girard's Nursery, and since the tree is seed-grown I am not putting the name in single quotes. Girard's is the only source I know for the tree. Girard's did not list the tree for sale this year.

I have provided a link to Girard's web site, below.
    Mike

Here is a link that might be useful: Girard Nurseries

• laurampls
    18 years ago

I have an Emporer I that I planted last fall and it made it through the dreadful winter with virtually no snow cover (Mpls). It is planted close to the house in a sheltered nook on the south side, shaded some of the day in winter. I put about 15" of shredded oak leaves around it but did not protect the upper branches (it was about 24" tall when I planted it. It looks terrific and has grown a lot this summer.

• denny_2006
    17 years ago

I have a Burgandy Lace Japanese Maple for sale. It has withstood Maryland winters for 18 years. It is in excellent condition. It stands 9 foot tall with a 9 foot span. If interested contact me.

• parrotslave
    17 years ago

I keep hoping that global warming will change us from a zone 4 to a zone 5 so I can put in some Japanese Maples.

I've tried a few other zone 5 plants in the yard in the past 10 years and they are all doing well with no steps taken to protect them from the cold.

• tom_mn
    17 years ago

I have had an Emperor I since May '03 and it is now 7 feet tall. It does not die back at all, grows fast and is vigorous, but I did have to cover it twice in May '05 to protect the new leaves from frost. I would say that it is happy in the Twin Cities, not marginal at all.

• tedb_threecedarfarm
    17 years ago

I think a protected spot anywhere within the Twin Cities is worth trying a Japanese maple. I know of ine growing well in Prospect Park and on in Bryn Mawr. I've heard 'Bloodgood' is a hardy selection. Klemn's Song Sparrow Farm in southern WI has a good selection.

Korean maple is a great alternative but I don't think there is a red leaved variety.

Ted

• parrotslave
    16 years ago

My red dragon Japaese maple arrived this week. It was a bit disheartening when it arrived, just an eight inch twig with a wisp of tiny red leaves on one end. I paid that much for a twig?!?!

I dug a $1000 dollar hole (Always dig a $1000 hole for a $1 plant.) and planted the twig in a somewhat sheltered, somewhat shaded location.

It really likes its new home. Two days later and there are twice the number of leaves and noticeable growth.

I have hope.

• ginkgonut
    16 years ago

I took the plunge on an Emperor I the other day. I found some reasonably priced ones in town and could not resist. It should be a nice protected spot during the winter and is slow to warm up in the spring. We'll see.

Sponsored
Schlabach Woodworks
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars16 Reviews
Franklin County's Reclaimed Wood Professionals