Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
lazyweeder

Total loss/Fall swap Question

lazyweeder
16 years ago

My garden was totally ruined last night in the hail storm. My hostas, brugs, coral bells, daylilies, and everything else was totally shredded by the hail. The KMOGGs cut in half, it looks like fall in my yard except all the leaves on the ground are green instead of yellow or red.

I'm not looking for sympathy (well maybe a little) but want to find out if I should let someone else host the swap or if you'd still like to have it at my house. Please post your opinion.

Whoever was next in line for the swap next spring and fall please send me an email.

Thanks,

Dave

Comments (11)

• spartangardener
    16 years ago

How sad!

Mine was pretty clocked when we had our golfball sized hail in June. Some has recovered, but some corners just aren't worth checking out anymore.

Hang in there!

• jel48
    16 years ago

Well, you've got my sympathy, whether you were looking for it or not! That's just awful. Thank heaven perennials come back after something like that. I'm fine with going either way on the swap. Either have it at your place and you can describe what your garden looks like in better days, or trade with someone and have the one at your house when everything has recovered next year.

• tammymn
    16 years ago

I feel sorry for you and your garden Dave how terrible. My yard can accomodate the garden web people about 20 to 30 who usually come to the swap. If you would prefer to have yours another time when your garden is healthy I would glad to have people come out to my garden in Woodbury. I don't have quite the selection of plants and space that you have but I do have a pool if people want to bring a suit for a dip after the swap thats okay with me. Its up to you Dave it doesn't matter to me!! Just let me know. TammyMN

• doucanoe
    16 years ago

Oh, Dave, you have my sympathy, too! What is with all the hail storms this year? Yikes!

You decide if you want to have the swap or not. I will go wherever I need to.

Linda

• zenpotter
    16 years ago

Dave,

How sad.

It is up to you how you feel about it. IF it was me I would probably want to wait so people could see what my garden is really like.

Pauline

• lazyweeder
    Original Author
    16 years ago

If this was June I wouldn't even worry about it. There was a hail storm that hit earlier this summer but it was nothing like this one.

I'm hoping everything recovers. I know most of it will bounce back next spring but there are a few things I'm a little worried about like the brugs, dahlias, and a few others I just planted this spring.

It's kind of a bummer cause I just had the expansion tilled up the week before and had spread the compost. I was looking forward to hosting the swap in Sept to show it off. Oh well.

Thanks for the offer Tammy. I may take you up on it. I don't have internet service cause the hail knocked out my satellite dish too so I'll post my decision on Mon.

• mngardener1
    16 years ago

Im so sorry to hear about you damages, Dave. When we had our baseball hail in June, It made a mess out of my hostas, etc, and unfortunately, they still look tough, but will be beautiful again next spring. Make sure you really take a look at EVERYTHING around your house, including any landscape lights, gutters, lawn furniture skylights and anything else outside that you might not normally think of. I had dents in my lights and holes thru mu lawn furniture and gutters and the adjuster caught more than I did, thankfully. I sure hope Minnesota is done with the hail now...good luck on your clean up - I understand your frustrations, although I am sure your gardens would put mine to shame!

• buncobabe2u
    16 years ago

I've have bad hail damage before so I know how you feel. I too will go anywhere for the swap. Since I've only been to one of the swaps before, I'm just glad that date works for me.

Mary

• lazyweeder
    Original Author
    16 years ago

TammyMN will be hosting the swap at her home on the 15th of Sept. Details will be posted on the exchanges section as usual.

• tammymn
    16 years ago

I don't have as big as gardens as Dave but I think you will like to see how much I can cramm in a over sized yard. I have about 200 daylilies, 100 lilies, 85 hostas, and 60 containers this year. Most of my plants are all labeled. I have a small pond with water plants and first year gold fish. I do have big beautiful brugmansia blooming right now. Dave will help with getting all the emails since my computer skills lack!! I hope you can all make it.

• lazyweeder
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Just posted the new swap info in the exchanges section. If you've already posted your attending you don't need to do it again. Date and time are the same.

I'm looking forward to seeing those 60 containers at Tammy's place. See you all there!