Return to the Minnesota Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Fall Planted Perennials From Seeds or Plants?

Posted by elleni 4a (My Page) on
Wed, Aug 27, 08 at 13:34

Even thought I have ordered way too many plants for this Fall, I want more. But I am wondering if I should save some money and buy seeds for some perennials instead of more plants. It occurred to me that many of the small plants I am buying are probably first years anyway!

What perennials can I sow in the garden this Fall and get a reasonable showing next Spring/Summer? I have no interest in Winter sowing or starting plants indoors in the Spring. I just want to pop the seeds out this Fall and leave them to fend for themselves!

Suggestions?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Fall Planted Perennials From Seeds or Plants?

Well, I just seeded some Lychnis this afternoon. The Stokes seed package says that Aug 21 is the time to seed it. Also, if you see all the Rudbeckia popping up every year, all that seed got started the previous fall. In fact, there must be lots more species that want to germ in the fall. I just can't think of anymore right now.
But think of the fun you can have if you start seeds indoors next spring. Start planning now and get your seeds by Jan 1.

o

Hum, Lychnis... I have never heard of that. I'll have to look it up. I wish I had the patience to start and tend little sprouts indoors, but I know the tender things will suffer from my late Winter neglect. I had been thinking of seeing if Delphiniums would work sown outside in the Fall, but gave in today and ordered three plants with a credit I had a one of the online shops. I *think* I have some False Indigo seeds from a shrub I pasted walking around the neighborhood recently. And I have a pile of Purple Pasque Flower seeds from my own garden. I'll try both of those this Fall, I think.

Any thing else?

o

• Posted by jel48 Z4 Michigan (My Page) on
    Fri, Aug 29, 08 at 10:59

Hi Elinni. You might want to check out the GW Winter Sowing forum. It's the simplest way to start perennials for next year. Very little work and very little patience needed. Several people here on the MN forum do it and will probably chime in. Read the FAQ at the Winter Sowing forum then ask questions, either there or here. I've done it myself and it works great!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Minnesota Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here