Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
rubybaby43

Perennial list - how well will they do?

rubybaby43
15 years ago

I have an area that gets sun from about 9am-1pm (eastern side of house with good winter protection). I have some of these but they are located in almost full sun. What I'm really wondering is how well they will bloom with this amount of light. I've tried to pick plants that vary from shade to part shade to full sun due to the fact that there is an oak tree to the south of this area that shades the southern most part of the garden...the northern-most part getting sun.

Lobelia cardinalis

Monarda

Oriental poppy

Coral Bells

Liatris

Echinacea

Butterfly weed

Ligularia

Phlox (any garden variety)

Thanks for your help!

Kristy :)

Comments (7)

• dandy_line (Z3b N Cent Mn)
    15 years ago

A good way to determine sun/shade needs is to peruse through a catalog. A lot of them will show the requirements for each plant they sell. The Bluestone Perennials catalog is quite good about it by showing a mini graph for each plant or type.
    I think most of what you listed will do just fine, except for maybe the Liatris. But, do the research yourself just to be sure.

• heleninramsey
    15 years ago

All should be fine, at worst the flowering may be somewhat limited, but coral bells, ligularia, cardinal flower and echinacea have all performed well in part shade for me. You will want to watch for mildew on the phlox and monarda in this situation. The afternoon shade and the protected location may take their toll in that manner. I have not grown the poppy, so I can't help you there. Bottom line, if you do not like the way they perform next summer, you can move them to your sunnier areas...Good luck. Helen.

• rubybaby43
    Original Author
    15 years ago

But, do the research yourself just to be sure.

That's how I came about having the list I have. I know where they sit as far as sun/shade requirements. I was just wondering if anyone had any personal experience with any of them in about four hours of sun or less.

Bottom line, if you do not like the way they perform next summer, you can move them to your sunnier areas

True! Of course, this is what the plan is for some of the plants in the "bed of the topic". I have things I will be relocating into better spots. It's a never-ending piece of artwork!

I appreciate the input!

• leaveswave
    15 years ago

Based on my experience, I personally would not plant in a location similar to what you described: liatris, poppy, & butterfly milkweed. A couple of the others "feel" iffy to me, but it could be an interesting experiment.

• rubybaby43
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Based on my experience, I personally would not plant in a location similar to what you described: liatris, poppy, & butterfly milkweed. A couple of the others "feel" iffy to me, but it could be an interesting experiment.

Experience is what I'm looking for. I appreciate it. I'll tell you what I'm moving out of this spot and what I have there that will stay. The hostas have to come out. The species I have there clearly need a little more shade. I planted them long before I knew better. The ferns are trying to compete with what else is there so they too will get moved to the shady backyard. They'll all be so much happier.

What I have that will stay will be the daylilies and the asiatic lilies. There is a clump or two or Candytuft that can stay and there is a spiderwort, a foxglove and a coreopsis toward the shadier end of the run that will stay.

What I need to know is what can I plant in place of the hostas and fern that will be able to compete as well with all the lilies. I'm tempted to find some other sun-tolerant hostas and leave it at that. The garden looks GREAT until August when the hostas get sun-burned.

Thanks again!

• Julie
    15 years ago

Hey there Kristy-

I think you have picked out some rather nice selections!! In my yard- I have found...

I do love Monarda- and mine grows in sun and I have some in most shade as well! Bees and hummers will appreciate this as well. You will be pulling out chunks every year- as this typically doubles in size each year- And it is that easy to remove too- just give it a bit of a yank- smells wonderful and makes an interesting tea- 'Oswego Tea"

Phlox will do great in full sun to almost full shade- at least in my all to well draining soil- The butterflies and hummers love it! Be sure to dead head it- or you will have it all over your beds!

Which brings me to Lobelia cardinalis- I have never been able to establish this plant- if it lives through the 'dry' summer in my sandy soil- it surely does not return in spring. I have written off that plant thinking that I just do not have enough moisture for it- Although I do LOVE the bronze foliage on some of these...

Ditto for Ligularia- more water than I can or care to provide- although I have found 'The Rocket' and 'przewalskii' do rather nicely in my beds with a bit more shade... There is a fellow I know who uses the Ligularia as a watering guide for his garden- if the ligularia is drooping- it's time to water again.

Oriental poppy - Very hardy once established- but be sure to plant it in the middle to back of the bed with something that is in front of it that will hide the dying leaves - they are like tulips this way... Looks great in the spring- but dies back early too.

Coral Bells (Heuchera) - the trouble with these for me is- which one to try first.... I have found that the newer more showy leaved of the species all need more sun than their shady "elders"...

Liatris - so many types to choose from- and very rock hardy plants in full to part sun- try a few different ones to see which you like best...

Echinacea - Once established- are very hardy- although, non of mine seem to live as long as I had thought/hoped... they seem give out after a few years- but- I guess that's ok, as I like to try the new varieties of these too-

Butterfly weed - asclepias are rock solid growers even in baking hot beds!

If you are looking for plain green hosta to tough it in the sun- try plantagenia or honeybells (A big bonus is that the late summer white blooms smell WONDERFUL!) - or a dark green hosta with a slight white edge- try Francee - Or if chartreuse is your thing- Sum and Substance would be a few oldies but goodies for a more sun than shade bed. Ah- these are all rather large hosta....

I hope this rambling helps you make some easier choices...

Julie

• rubybaby43
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Wow Julie...thanks!! All of your input helps a lot! I chuckled when you mentioned hostas plantaginea and honeybells. We (by we I mean DH...gotta give him the credit) just built a deck on the front of our house to cover our very small concrete porch and these are the two main hostas that I bought to flank the stairs. I have plantaginea in other parts of the yard but haven't tried honeybells yet.

I'm curious about how much sun the lobelia cardinalis received where you planted it? I have always heard it's a tricky one and haven't been bold enough to try it....but I think I'm getting to the point where I love its color so much I just have to go for it.

Thanks again for your input. It's very encouraging!

Sponsored