Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jel48

What are your top 3 plants for shade?

jel48
16 years ago

I'm looking for your very best. I don't need a comprehensive list of shade plants as I've got those kinds of lists. What I'd like is the very top 3 shade plants on your own personal list. The ones that you love the most or that grow the best in your yard! And, this might make it tougher, but I'm looking for plants that you have grown, either in your current garden or a former garden, not plants that you think you'd like to grow. Ok, maybe if a close family member is groiwng them here in Minnesota, you can get away with putting them on your list :-)

My list is hosta, bleeding hearts, and virginia bluebells.

Comments (13)

• leaveswave
    16 years ago

Limiting myself to perennials (no shrubs or trees). These three are natives also. I picked them because they aren't spring ephemerals (which can be beautiful, but last so briefly and then there's a bare spot):

Galium odoratum (sweet woodruff)
    Geranium macrorrhizum (bigroot geranium)
    Polemonium caeruleum (jacob's ladder)

• bemidjigreen
    16 years ago

Here are a few others not listed that I'm trying in my shade garden:
    Asarum canadense - Wild Ginger
    Uvularia grandiflora - Bellwort
    Mitella diphylla - Bishop´s Cap
    Mertensia virginica - Virginia Bluebells
    trout lily
    hosta--sieboldiana elegans, abiqua drinking gourd
    alchemilla mollis
    astilbe-specifically ostrich plume, peach blossom
    ferns--maidenhair, ostrich
    bugbane
    digitalis lutea

• duluthinbloomz4
    16 years ago

For shade perennials - hosta, astilbe, and trollius.

(I do have more growing I could pick from though, ostrich ferns, lily of the valley, columbine, and bleeding hearts.)

• doucanoe
    16 years ago

It is hard to pick a favorite, but Cimicifuga Racemosa, Ligularia "The Rocket", and all the various hostas would be right up there near the top.

Of course, I love the bleeding hearts, corydalis, spiderwort, etc. as well as all of the beautiful wild woodland flowers, too!

Linda

• meeperx
    16 years ago

ok-if I had to plan an entire garden with only these plants

perennials-
    coral bells (so many great foliage colors these days)
    geranium 'rozanne'
    varigated woodland phlox-nice flowers in the spring-nice foliage all summer long

annuals-
    impatians
    coleus
    persian shield

shrubs-
    anabelle hydrangea
    varigated dogwood
    euonymus
    boxwood
    dwarf alberta spruce

• kristal
    16 years ago

Hosta, Hosta, and Hosta. I don't have any shade to speak of, so I can't experiment.

• hostaholic2 z 4, MN
    16 years ago

Only 3? Hosta, Astilbie, & Japanese painted fern would be at the very top of my must have list but it would be difficult to eliminate many of the others already mentioned.

• andi3216
    16 years ago

Hosta, Heuchera and Japanese Painted Fern

• tedb_threecedarfarm
    16 years ago

I have to second Geranium macrorrhizum a great, underused groundcover for the toughest spots. It's not a native though (european origin). Geranium maculatum is the native.

Variegated Solomon's Seal. Elegant and tough.

Japanese Roof Iris, Iris tectorum. A much larger version of the better known Iris cristata. Exquisite flowers and bold arching foliage.

runners up. Waxbells, monkshood, bugbane,

• zenpotter
    16 years ago

Asarum canadense - Wild Ginger

Pachysandra terminalis

Hosta

• gardener-budding
    16 years ago

Great posting! I am going to do some research on some of the perennials that have been listed. I am always looking for some great shade perennials to add to my garden.

I guess at this point my 2 favorite shade perennials are:
    Hosta (just because they have been growing well in my new garden) and a few types of ferns that I have yet to identify.

Thanks for this posting!

• laurampls
    16 years ago

Only 3 is hard!

hakonechloa macra (japanese forest grass)
    kirengeshoma palmata (yellow waxbells)
    geranium phaeum

• Julie
    16 years ago

Although many have said it before-
    Hosta are #1 for me for shade- the more the merrier!
    Then I think Dicentra Eximina - Fernleaf Bleeding heart- as it blooms off and on throughout the spring and summer- and the foliage is a lush, mounding, verdant green with a finely cut delicate texture.
    Then lastly- ferns- many shapes sizes colors and textures to choose from-
    Yep- if 3 it has to be- those are them! I think I could live with a shaded forest of those 3- although I sure would miss the soloman's seal....

Although.... Just imagine a shaded glen of hakonechloa macra, all tousled and flowing like a great golden river... You can almost hear the water rushing....

Oh man- then there is the absolutely HUGE Petasites japonicus var. giganteus / Japanese Butterbur I saw growing tall and proud in a garden close to Stillwater this spring...

I had better quit while I can!

Here is a link that might be useful: one image of a Japanese Butterbur