Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
heleninramsey

advice needed from shade gardeners...

heleninramsey
16 years ago

I have one small area of shade to garden in my yard, it is aproximately 8' wide and 15' long. That is the most shade I have ever had and although my book knowledge of shade plants is not bad, my practical knowledge is lacking. I am looking for shade plants to put at the base of my deck that have some height, to add interest and depth the the area. The shade in this area is pretty dense, I tried Annabelle hydrangeas (because they have performed well for me in dappled shade) but they are suffering and need to be moved. The area already contains ligularia, hosta, heuchera, dicentra, trollius, and chelone, they are doing well, but they are all recieving some dappled sun as the day goes on, the area in question is darker because of the deck. I would like something taller than hostas, and something different or interesting would be a plus! The soil is fairly sandy, well irrigated and full of tree roots (red maple ) Thanks....Helen.

Comments (8)

• thisismelissa
    16 years ago

I know you said you wanted something taller than hostas, but have you considered one of the really big hostas, like Sum & Substance?

• heleninramsey
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Thanks, I really like the big hostas, and I may need to head that direction if I don't find another option, but I was looking for a different texture that would compliment the hostas I already have, I suppose I could go color rather than texture...Helen.

• mnwsgal
    16 years ago

How about actaea simplex 'Black Negligee' (bugbane)? Part shade to full shade. Ht: 4-5' Spread 1.5-2' blooms August-September. Has deeply cut, dark purplish-black lacy foliage, small, creamy-white fragrant flowers on long racemes (fluffy spires) on wiry stems. leaf margins may brown/scorch if soils are not kept consistently moist. Some list it as a zone 5 plant though I have had one for several years.

Aconitum (monkshood) will take part shade. It gets tall and has a distinctive leaf as well as a late blue blossom.

Astilbe come in various heights.

Thalictrum Aquilegiifolium lacy leaf with tall lavender blossom.

Can you tell that I have been researching shade plants for part of my new bed?

Bobbie

• selkie_b
    16 years ago

Yeah, Thalictrum comes in all sizes and it's all very interesting and lovely - great stuff and would look a nice contrast to hostas. Jacob's Ladder, both true and false Soloman's seal, though they can be somewhat invasive Jack-in-the-pulpets come in all heights and several colors and shapes, columbines...

I'll have to go look! *LAUGH* I have exactly those type gardens all over my yard and I forget what's in them there is so much stuff!

-Marie

• leaveswave
    16 years ago

Check out the plant databases posted in other threads on this forum--tons of possibilities!

• heleninramsey
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Thanks all, great ideas, I forgot about the thalictrums, I have an 8 footer by the side of the house (a bit of a freak) but I will look at the other varieties as well. At any rate you got me out of my hydrangea rut and 'thinking' again, that's what I needed. By the way, has anyone seen that dark bugbane at a reasonable price? I have a tough time with over 20$ a plant when I seem to "need" at least one of everthing I fall in love with!

• Julie
    16 years ago

Just an FYI- I have found that cimicafuga/racemosa 'Brunette' does not do well in full shade- it needs some light to live in my yard (I have been killing it off slowly for a while now) as well as light to color up correctly- and I have heard (and seen), it will thrive in moist full sun conditions.
    I have been saving seed and trying to germinate- but this is a bugger for me! I have not had any luck yet- although I recently found, it has a clump forming base (similar to most hosta and daylilies) that when gotten to early enough in the spring, can be lifted and deftly separated and cause little to no setback to the main plant. Although- it takes a mature plant to have enough growth to do this with. This may be a reason why it remains at such a high price over the years.
    I think I would try an Aristolachia/ Dutchman's pipe vine and allow it to grow over the deck towards the sun- or maybe the canary bird vine- both have decidedly different leaf texture and flowers.
    Maybe you are right to think about a shrub look though- and need to think about blue cohosh- aralia- or snow berry bushes. There are many understory plants that have an interesting or rewarding feature to them that may suit you well.
    And- if worst comes to worst- swap out planters there. Make 2 (or more) planters of HUGE plants like elephant ears and castor beans- and keep one in the sun for a week- and swap it out with the shaded for a week. By the end of the summer you will be in great shape!
    Good luck in your hunt for the right stuff!

Julie

• heleninramsey
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Thanks Julie, good ideas all and good input. Nice to know about the Cimicafuga, I have always admired it, sounds like it would actually be perfect for a little garden I have that (in essence) is a bog garden. It is in full sun but sits on a clay pan and drains s-l-o-w-l-y but needs to be fully irrigated or I would loose the grass in the same area. I have monster sized astilbe in there, and a fantastic canadian burnet, the dark leaves would be a nice contrast and good addition, if I decide to pony up the money for it. Thanks for the shrub ideas as well.

Helen.

Sponsored