Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
v_nickduluth

No Fruit on Black Currants

v-nickduluth
12 years ago

About 3 years ago, I received two rooted black currant plants from a friend (not sure what cultivar). I planted them and the plants are thriving. Two of the past springs, the currants were covered in blossoms. However, few berries are set every year (this year I have 4 total berries). I'm wondering what the problem is. At first I thought it was a late frost, but I'm very careful and cover the plants if the temps get anywhere near frost levels. Plus the blossoms don't fall off until well into June. I've been pruning out the old canes and thinning the new ones. Is it possible that there just aren't enough pollinators around to pollinate the currants? I know that they are self-pollinating, but require more than the wind to pollinate. Anyone else have this problem? Anyone try hand-pollinating-because i'm about to resort to that. :) Thanks for any suggestions.

Comments (7)

• hoghaven_duluthmn
    12 years ago

Not a currant expert, but I do have some currants. First, I don't think 3 years is very old for rooted cuttings. Give it some more time. Also, since I have lived here, the spring blossoming with all my shrubs can be a bit hit or miss. We will have a late fall with late growth that is not hardened off for winter, then we will have a late, wet spring, or a very cold winter with more ice than snow cover, etc. All those things seem to have an effect on the next year's berry crops. Then, a spectacular year will happen, and it seems to wear out the plant, and the next year is only so, so. This year, I have hardly had any insect damage or mildew problems, although it seems to rain every other day. Last year I got plenty of blueberries, this year, not so much, but I did get plenty of strawberries. Perhaps don't have all your berries in one basket. :) If you do think you have a pollination problem, try planting some flowering insect-attracting plants that bloom at the same time. Lilacs and crab apples?

• v-nickduluth
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thanks so much for the encouragement. It's nice to know that other people have success up here at least. There are lots of blooming plants around the currants--maybe that's the problem--too many distractions for the few pollinators. Both lilacs and crab apples near by. I'll keep on it and hope for the best. i really want some black currant jam--someday maybe.

• hoghaven_duluthmn
    12 years ago

There is also a disease called White Pine Blister rust. I don't really know about it, but you might want to Google it or go to the MN Extension to learn more. Some currants are more resistant than others. I have 2 black currant bushes and probably 3 red ones. You probably will want to plant more bushes if you really want the black currant jelly. I do like it too, although I mix it all together. Nice delicate taste, although the black ones have a bit stronger taste. Good luck. Nice to see someone from Duluth.

• whitehallp01
    6 years ago

3year plant no sign of flowers or a single berry .....is it a stick ?

• causton
    5 years ago
    last modified: 5 years ago

I have a large healthy 7 year old black current bush. Every year it is loaded with flowers and I do not get one single berry!

There is no destructive frost and tons of pollinators.

I was reading somewhere that my variety (of course I forgot the name) needs a second pollinator. So I bought a second and third black current bush. This year they were blooming but yet again: not one single berry

• HU-49457158
    last year

My bushes are also 10 years old. After 7 years I moved them. They flower like crazy and I've only had immature once but the fruit failed to mature so I have never had a crop. This year they are full of blooms but I haven't seen a single pollinating insect (mind you we are having a cold spring). Is there anyway for me to pollinate them?

Sponsored
Hope Restoration & General Contracting
Average rating: 4.7 out of 5 stars35 Reviews
Columbus Design-Build, Kitchen & Bath Remodeling, Historic Renovations