Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
heleninramsey

I've got the Sunny Border blues....

heleninramsey
15 years ago

Is anyone else having a terrible Veronica season? I usually love my 'Sunny Border Blue' but this year it is just not good. It is very mildewy, I am on the verge of cutting the whole thing down, actually after this little lunch break, thats what I am going to do. I also purchased three other veronicas on the same order, called 'Purplishus' or something like that on the same order cause I loved 'Sunny Border" so much and I AM NOT HAPPY...I moved them to the garden of shame in the back of some trees till they shape up!

Helen...

Comments (11)

• jodikay
    15 years ago

My sunny border blues are doing 'ok'. I haven't noticed any mildew. I planted them last september after buying them at 50% off. They were looking very tough but came back for a nice little bloom. I was very impressed. My other veronicas have been fine also. I am starting to wonder what things should look like. Last summer wasn't good and now this hot rainless streak isn't helping either. I just love gardening!

Jodi

• rubybaby43
    15 years ago

I have some Veronica...not sure which as I got them a long time ago. But they did not flower a stitch this year. I was wondering if they were nearing the end of a lifespan?
    Kristy :\

• leaveswave
    15 years ago

Mine are doing well. No signs of mildew and nice flowering. In fact, they seem to re-seed about my garden; have discovered several volunteers, anyway!

Kristy, I don't think it's a lifespan thing. How much sun and moisture do they get? What's the type of soil?

• rubybaby43
    15 years ago

Kristy, I don't think it's a lifespan thing. How much sun and moisture do they get? What's the type of soil?

They are in nearly full sun. We are in a pretty sandy area but we put down a good foot of black dirt before we sodded. The bed that the veronica is in is also woodchipped to keep the soil cooler and retain some moisture since the front yard had very small trees when the garden was first put in.

Kristy

• heleninramsey
    Original Author
    15 years ago

The 'Blues' in my garden started out when the garden was younger and they had more space around them, now they are fairly engolfed in other plants. Maybe thats it, how are yours situated?

Helen.

• rubybaby43
    15 years ago

Mine did start out with more room but they are far from being engulfed. I honestly cannot recall if I saw them bloom last year...but we did suffer a really bad hail storm in May this year and I'm wondering if that has anything to do with it. I'll be keeping my eye on them.
    Kristy :)

• conniemcghee
    15 years ago

Just happened to find this post while doing a search for Veronica SBB...

I had some Veronica at our previous home - it was the pink kind. It did so beautifully for a few years, then just petered out. I thought maybe it needed to be divided, so I did that, but it didn't help. Do you think they really do just have a short lifespan?

I saw some gorgeous SBB at Home Depot today, and was debating on whether to get some for our new house. :) Is it typically in bloom this time of year, then? My pink bloomed earlier than this. I'm looking for a variety that will bloom around this time.

• heleninramsey
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Well, my SBB was blooming when I cut it down, and usually lasts into September if I deadhead. I clearly do not know if I would recommend it right now...Royal Candles is doing the same thing, and it is shorter so it looks really crummy. I Have not the foggiest idea why yours isn't blooming Kristy, sometimes when things don't behave I dig them in the fall and relocate them slightly, SOMETIMES it helps.

Helen.

• rubybaby43
    15 years ago

I Have not the foggiest idea why yours isn't blooming Kristy

Honestly...I am almost embarrassed to admit this so please don't point and laugh. I was out watering the garden by hand today and as I came across the spot where I thought my veronica was I realized I was wrong. I found my veronica tonight...nearing the end of its bloom-time. Will you all believe me if I tell you that this is the busiest summer I've had since I had children?? LOL

Thank you for not laughing too hard!
    Kristy ;)

• heleninramsey
    Original Author
    15 years ago

That is priceless...Helen.

• rubybaby43
    15 years ago

But I think I am too young to be losing my mind!!! It's a good thing school is starting soon.
    Kristy :)

Sponsored