Return to the Minnesota Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Anyone Growing Kiwi in MN

Posted by ForeverRecycleReuse MN 4b (My Page) on
Mon, Aug 5, 13 at 16:51

I noticed at one of our parking lot nurseries that they are selling female and male kiwi vines. Is anyone growing kiwi? I would greatly appreciate hearing about your experience.

Based on initial web browsing, I know that you need both a male and female vine. (1) male can pollinate several female vines. The male vine leaves are much more attractive in color display. The fruits will not be the fuzzy, brown kiwi skinned that you buy in the grocery store but rather a thin green skinned that does not require removal before consumption. The northern hardy varieties have smaller fruit size. Also mentioned is that cats seem to be attracted to these vines and will munch on them.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Anyone Growing Kiwi in MN

I put in a male plant in early spring, hoping for some colorful foliage someday. The trick seems to be the right balance of sun and shade. Don't know that I hit the mark; time will tell.

Gary

o

I grew some in Southern Ontario, Canada. Just a little south of MN. I planted a female and male. The trellis I built was quite strong as was suggested online, there are trellis designs according to growing hardy kiwi. I too had difficulty with the male, didn't grow much, too shady I think. The female had more sun and grew very well. At the 3 yr mark when we moved to MN, the female was crossing the trellis and the male was barely touching the bottom of it:( I'm hoping to to try again here and give the male some more sun.

o

So funny...
I was just researching the kiwi in MN myself last week. I think I am going to try it.
This was good resource for me: http://fruit.cfans.umn.edu/home-fruit/kiwi/

o

Check this one out guys
http://swissbeets.blogspot.com/2009/09/field-trip-kiwi-in-minnesota.html
I might be scheduling my own field trip there

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Minnesota Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here