Return to the Minnesota Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Bouganvillas in Minnesota

Posted by minneapolis_gardener Minnesota (My Page) on
Tue, Aug 19, 08 at 17:14

Last spring we bought two bouganvillas in hanging baskets. At the end of the season, I trimmed them back and kept them over the winter in a cool dark location, watering them about once per month. In the late spring I brought them out, fertilized them, and hung them in a sunny location. They came back quite nicely. However, NO FLOWERS.

Does anyone know how to get these things to bloom? I was pleased that they kept through the winter, but if they don't bloom, there isn't much point in keeping them.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Bouganvillas in Minnesota

I had several bouganvillas when I lived in Phoenix and all I can tell you is that they like it DRY. The less water you give them....the more they bloom. I really miss those beautiful plants and am anxious to see how yours do up here in the northwoods!!!

o

I wonder if the fertilizer wasn't enough to overcome "tired, old soil". You might try repotting them, although it's a little late in the season. If that doesn't do it, it's gotta be other cultural practices...

o

Hi there-
I had wondered if they might behave like poinsettias with needing special light conditions to prompt bloom- With what this article says- I believe it may just need brighter light-

Hope this helps-

Julie

Here is a link that might be useful: This may help-

o

I know it's been a while since you posted re: bouganvilla. I have one in a basket that is about 6 or 7 years old, and it blooms 2 or 3 times a year. In the summer, I hang it outside on my patio and before the first frost, I bring it in and put it in a East facing window. I only water it about every two weeks. If the leaves start to dry and fall off, it is telling me that it needs water. Be sure to keep it away from any heat from the furnace since the draft will dry it out quickly.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Minnesota Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here