Return to the Minnesota Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Spireas

Posted by brookiesgram 4-Rochester (My Page) on
Sun, Aug 26, 12 at 17:20

I have two spireas that have really suffered this summer. I have dead spots on both plants. Can I cut them back to the ground this fall? Thanks!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Spireas

I cut my spirea to the ground every fall. They come back lush and bloom well.

o
RE: Spireas

Are they pink to rose early summer bloomers, or white spring bloomers?

If it is the former, cutting them back in the fall or early spring is often a good thing. If they are the larger growing white flowered sprireas that bloom in the spring, they I wouldn't cut them all the way back. Perhaps half way. Then when new growth starts in the spring, that should include sprouts from the base too, you could selectively prune more. With this second type, after pruning there will be no flowering the coming year, as they only bloom on wood that has gone through the winter.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Minnesota Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here