Return to the Minnesota Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Question about Black Eyed Susans??

Posted by jdreams76 MN (My Page) on
Fri, Aug 15, 08 at 17:56

I have coneflower and black eyed susans spreading around my garden.. Now do they do this so early in the season. When i say spreading i mean they are little seedlings of this stuff in different parts of my garden. Anyone had this happen?? And is there anyway to control it ?? I have been just digging them up and hoping that i am right and they are one or the other. Certianly look like the rest of the stuff all over my garden. And this happend to me last year. So just wondering :) Thanks, Kelly

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Question about Black Eyed Susans??

Kelly-Rudbeckia hirta is the annual kind you're looking at and it does spread around promiscuously, for sure. If you have an interesting form, like Prairie sun or Summer sun, just let them go and remove as many as you can to control them. But, if you just let them go you will have one giant garden of yellow.

o

Rudbeckia 'Goldsturm' travels by underground runners as well as reseeding itself. It's a chore keeping it under control. I dug up tons of plants this spring and gave them away. Now there are more than I had before. Arghhh! They sure are beautiful this time of year though.

o

The simplest way to avoid plants re-seeding is to deadhead the flower before it sets and disperses seed.

o

Ours seem to stay put pretty well, but that may be because we have them hemmed in by some pretty deep garden-edging stuff. Still-- they're lovely and they are pretty pest-free. I'd just let 'em spread!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Minnesota Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here