Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
lazyweeder

Toad lily virus

lazyweeder
17 years ago

For those of you who like toad lilies you may want to check out the link below.

http://www.perennialnursery.com/tricyrtisvirus.html

Dave

lazyweeder

Comments (7)

• leaveswave
    17 years ago

Bummer! I was thinking of adding them to my garden. Not sure I want to now...

• sjmarq
    17 years ago

This has been on my wish list for a while. Would seed be contaminated? Anyone know if growing from seed would carry over a virus of the parent was infected?

• leaveswave
    17 years ago

That depends on the virus. I don't think this one has been around long enough to have been thoroughly studied and an answer determined.

About viruses:

"All viruses are obligate parasites, which means they cannot survive outside of their host and must be moved from one plant to another by seed or Insects. This process is called vectoring."

Even more info here: www.tulane.edu/~dmsander/WWW/335/Plant.html

• lynnsherbs
    17 years ago

I emailed the source of the article and they very generously responded. I had just added Raspberry Mousse this spring, it has not bloomed yet and it appears that primary source of transfer of the virus is through pollination or pest transmittal (aphids, etc.). I'm taking a chance and moving it far away from my other toadies, and will wait to see if they show any signs of the virus. So far only the amethyst one has bloomed, so I might get lucky.

Lynn

• tracey_nj6
    17 years ago

Great; I just read about this virus. My "Raspberry Mousse" are just blooming; I believe I purchased them from Park's...

• GardenZ4_chickadee
    17 years ago

I have two toad lilies in a bed with ferns and hosta. I got them both at Linders a couple years ago. The Miyazaki Hybrid is in bloom right now, no sign of mottling. The Lightning Strike hasn't bloomed yet. The plants are fairly small yet but certainly look nice with the late blooming hosta. Lightning Strike is less than a foot high and the Miyazaki is about 18" - each only with a couple of branches.

I was at the Chicago Botanic Gardens a couple weekends ago. They have a really impressive display of toad lilies. I hadn't seen the article on mottling yet so I didn't check their plants for that.

• Julie
    17 years ago

I have been very worried- as I bought a large no named toad lily from Linders this summer-
    I have been very impressed with its size- and amount of buds- but a little apprehensive at what the flowers would show me when they opened-
    I am pleased to say that it looks un-affected by this virus- at least this year. It has the typical dark purple stippeled spots of an average toad lily- without the tell tale splotches! Whew!
    Who knew I would be so pleased that it is average!

Sponsored
Columbus' Home Design Experts Specializing in Custom Cabinets