Return to the Minnesota Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Last time you mowed your lawn

Posted by adamterrie 4 (adamterrie@yahoo.com) on
Fri, Aug 10, 07 at 18:35

Just curious . . . for those of you who do not water your lawns (like me), when was the last time you mowed your lawn?

I water my flower beds and veggy garden, but I do not water my lawn. I do not recall the exact date when I last mowed my lawn. However, I know I did not mow it during the entire month of July and I have yet to mow it during August. Therefore, it has been a good month and a half since the lawn was mowed.

I don't miss not mowing my lawn. However, my compost pit could use more organic matter, which would otherwise be provided by the lawn clippings. I guess the brown lawn is not too aesthetically pleasing to the eye either.

Anyways, just wondering - when was the last time you mowed your lawn?

- Adam

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Last time you mowed your lawn

The areas near my flower beds get mowed because they also get watered. However the main part of my lawn hasn't been mowed since about mid June I think.

o

hahaha... i was just asking myself that question. i have been watering my lawn but it hasnt been mowed since i think june for the front yard and early july for the back yard. that is sooooooooooooo funny. this HEAT is killing me and my gardens. Grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr!!

o

Why do we need green grass lawns anyway?

I keep a small part of a boulevard (not yet part of the boulegarden) in grass. It gets a little water once or twice a week as I water the plants and veggies out there.
The grass is stressed but not yet brown, just thirsty green and long. It can stay that way till the monsoons come in September.

I think those converting lawns to prarie grasses or ivy type lawns like I saw in Santa Barbara years ago are thinking ahead to water shortages. Why don't we all convert to this type of landscape?

o

"I don't miss not mowing my lawn."

I believe I meant to say "I don't miss mowing my lawn."

- Adam

o

• Posted by john_w Z4a Minn, US (My Page) on
    Sat, Aug 11, 07 at 13:52

I didn't water my lawn during the 1988 heat wave and it died. I had to re-seed in the fall. It was a lot of work to bring it back.

Better to water just enough to keep it alive. Plant trees to shade grass and keep the ground cool.

Sorry, but I love green, plush grass. There's no better garden path, especially if you're barefoot. Ivy and thyme isn't the same. And you can't play croquet and bocce in prairie grass.

o

Sorry, but I love green, plush grass. There's no better garden path, especially if you're barefoot.

Agreed! But then again I am thinking back to that drought ('88) and my allergies has THE hardest time with the grass being dry. I get stuffed up and sneezy just looking at crunchy, dry grasses. Just one more reason we keep our yard watered.

I will say though that the yard kept drying out more than usual this summer so we fed it about three weeks ago and it's growing like mad. We don't have to water nearly as much now even though we are still very short on rainfall!
Kristy :)

o

Let's see...that would be June. Of 2002. Ah, the joy, the freedom

Interesting blog entry

Interesting website

Interesting article

o

I don't have a lawn-my entire yard is a garden with the exception of a 250 sq/ft area in back that hopefully will be a stone patio next year. However-if you have a lawn and live in the city -I think you should keep it watered. Dead/yellow grass looks like crap-and hundreds, if not thousands of people have to pass by your yard everyday.

o

Ooops...I guess I have disappointed a lot of people then.

The only house on the block with a fully green lawn is the retired guy. Quoting him after I complimented him on his grass, "I'm retired, I have nothing else to do."

o

Just mowed the yard this morning. It was getting long where the garden sprinklers hit. Am lucky enough to have a shallow well I water with, so have kept the grass minimally watered so not to die. Before this mornings mowing, I hadn't mowed since sometime the end of June.

Sandy

o
RE: lawns

I didn't mean to offend you ginkgonut. If you're on this gardening forum-I'm assuming your yard isn't one of the yellow, weedy "abandoned lot" looking yards I'm seeing a lot more of lately.

One of the best front yards I can think of this year has medium to large boulevard trees shading a small front yard whose front boarder is all mulch with about 15 to 20 nice shrub plantings-mungo pine, a trimmed up alpine current, a pee gee hydrangea tree, etc. and a few large blue rocks interspersed. It is very minimal-probably not that expensive compared to most landscaping projects, and looks really good. Next time I pass by I will post a photo.

o

No mowing since June for me. I've learned not to keep up with the Jones, although there are limits to that too. One spring, during the height of the grass growing, my mower broke and I was waiting for a part to arrive to fix it. My new neighbor came over and offered to mow my lawn. He charged me for it, too.

I remember that drought back in the 1980's: "stupid" university. They should have revised their recommendation as the drought wore on. One good watering would have kept virtually everyone's lawn that died alive. The purpose, merely to keep the soil temperature down. Certainly not to bring back any kind of growth.

To each their own values. But with water, a natural resource that belongs to all, I do expect those who water lawns to be respectful. Water only in the evening or early morning. No watering every other day, and certainly not every day. If we can get away without watering for the whole summer, they should be able to manage at least 4 days, even in the hottest part of the summer.

o

One spring, during the height of the grass growing, my mower broke and I was waiting for a part to arrive to fix it. My new neighbor came over and offered to mow my lawn. He charged me for it, too.

What kind of neighbor is that? :\

But with water, a natural resource that belongs to all, I do expect those who water lawns to be respectful. Water only in the evening or early morning. No watering every other day, and certainly not every day.

We don't have a choice...we are on a watering ban every summer. Fortunately, we have been getting just enough rain to not have to water too much.

Ooops...I guess I have disappointed a lot of people then.

Nah....I'm like your retired neighbor. I am currently a stay-at-home mom so I can water a little in the morning without having to rush off somewhere.

Kristy :)

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Minnesota Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here