Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
leaveswave

Ever wanted to become a Master Gardener?

leaveswave
17 years ago

They are currently accepting applications for 2007! If you know of anyone who'd be interested in applying, the application materials can be found at: www.hcmg.umn.edu/to_apply.htm. The application deadline is September 8. The 2007 Core Course will be held at the MN Landscape Arboretum, January 11-27, 9:00 a.m. to 4:00 p.m., Tuesdays, Thursdays, and Saturdays.

Comments (10)

• luvmydaisies
    17 years ago

OR you can take the classes online If you can't make it to the actual classes. That is what I did.

• lynnsherbs
    17 years ago

I'd love to hear about the online classes!

Lynn

• luvmydaisies
    17 years ago

The online classes were held the same time as everyone else was taking the core course. You get all of your books just like you would in the classroom, but all of the quizzes are taken online and graded online. (They are open book) I would usually print a copy of the test before reading the chapter that we were working on. ( They give you a set amount of time that you have to read the chapers and take the test.)That would help me to read through the quiz before reading the chapter. I could then take the quiz without having to lug all my books to the basement where my computer is, and it made it easier for me to retain the info.
    Atica

• leaveswave
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Just a clarification. Anyone may take the classes if they register and come up with the fee. However, only people that have applied to the Master Gardener program, and been accepted, can legally call themselves a Master Gardener.

Personally, I wouldn't have taken the class unless I qualified for the designation and so on. I know some portion of the students were interested solely in the content though, as well as a fair number in various hort. programs at the U.

• gw:juniebug-2006
    17 years ago

So are you saying that if you take the on-line classes, rather than attend in person, you aren't really a Master Gardener? I'd love to take the classes to become a Master Gardener, but I'm in Florida Jan, and Feb, so online would be my only option.

• leaveswave
    Original Author
    17 years ago

The relevant factor is your application being accepted to the program, not (I think) how you complete the class. You might want to contact the program folks directly to get the official word.

• luvmydaisies
    17 years ago

I took the classes online and I am a certified MG with Rice county.I paid my dues just like the people taking the class...actually I think it was $50.00 more because of S& H of books and to pay the person who does the online things. So just because you take the class online does not mean that you will not become a full fledge MG for the county that your application was accepted.

• sureturtle
    17 years ago

I always wonder what the title of Master Gardener entails. At the summer Farmer's Markets you often see them. They may or may notbe able to answer your questions, mostly direct you to call the UofM extension services.

Do people do it to get pure knowledge? To join a enthusiastic gardener's group so they could help each other? Is there a lot of interactions among the Master Gardeners? Do they get paid when they present at the Farmer's Markets?

I am asking these questions because I love to garden and would like to swap ideas, problems and plants with other enthusiastic gardeners. Is the Master Gardener program the way to go?

Thanks.

• leaveswave
    Original Author
    17 years ago

I would say the primary reasons for becoming a MG are to share research-based information with other people. Most MGs are enthusiastic gardeners and while we do have a fair amount of informal discussion and swapping among ourselves during the year, the main focus of our outreach activities are to support others in the community with knowledge to solve their yard & garden problems/questions. MGs (at least in Henn. Cty) do not accept personal payment for their participation. Honorariums and donations to the MG program can be accepted.

Sureturtle, have you looked into what gardening groups there may be in your area?

• dentaybow
    17 years ago

So far, there has been no emphasis (not even directly mentioned?)of the volunteer aspect/requirements of the MG program. Primarily, the MG program (and the title) was established, and continues to exist, to train volunteers for the Extension Service. "Being accepted into the program", involves a commitment to a minimum number of volunteer hours and continuing education.
    So...while there may be other 'side benefits' of being an MG....first and foremost would be the time and willingness to serve as a volunteer with CES for the required number of hours. (50 hours the first year and 25 hours/year thereafter.)

More info from the Univ. of MN can be found at
    http://www.mg.umn.edu/program%20description.htm

The website below does a good job of detailing the expectations of an MG. While not Minnesota, the MG programs are quite similar across the USA.

Jan

Here is a link that might be useful: Info on MG's role

Sponsored
Peabody Landscape Group
Average rating: 3.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Franklin County's Reliable Landscape Design & Contracting