Return to the Minnesota Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Newly-Gained Wisdom

Posted by leaveswave (MN z4) (My Page) on
Wed, Aug 30, 06 at 20:05

What's something you learned (or re-learned!) this year about gardening that you'd like to share with the rest of us?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Newly-Gained Wisdom

• Posted by jel48 Z3/4 Minnesota (My Page) on
    Wed, Aug 30, 06 at 21:58

One thing I learned is that Sluggo really is worth the outrageous price. I'm sure there are other things but I can't bring them to mind. Maybe reading other responses will remind me of some of them.

This is a great idea for a thread, Leaves!

o

1. I always plant things too close together. I followed the label instructions (tomatoes this year) and they turned into an absolute jungle. i swear I need a machete to find the remaining red guys.

2. Canadian thistle is an absolute thug. We have a cornfield behind us that I know they sprayed. I guess the thistles decided my yard was a happy place. I don't like using chemicals, but I've about given up on this one.

3. My neighbor spraying stuff all over about did in my two-year-old red twig and grey dogwoods. The Winterberry also suffered. He has no Canadian thistles, however. He's probably cursing me.

4. Grasshoppers must love dry weather. They are EVERYWHERE and decimating my Dahilas before they break out of bud. I love the fact that mosquitos were hardly existant this year, however.

5. I re-learn this one every year. Summer goes too fast. Sob!

o

Oh- yes you can- start too many seedlings!

Moisture loving plants really do need a moist place to live- Now I must learn how to make a mini bog like garden,,,,,,

Enjoy- this moment! Drink it in- let it fill you! This moment is a gift- revel in it. The people and places and sights and sounds- as well as the plants in your garden and the cycles they all go through- are all temporary. Allow these moments to pleasure you- fill your memories with pleasent thoughts...

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Minnesota Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here