Return to the Minnesota Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
suggestions for the front garden - pic included

Posted by jodikay MN z4 (My Page) on
Tue, Aug 3, 10 at 20:27

Here is a picture of my front garden as you drive up to the house. I would like the garden to look good from all sides, even though I spend most of my time inside the garden or looking out at it from inside the house. I am looking for ideas/suggestions on how to hide/make, what I call the back side, look good. The plants for the most part sit lower than the top railing. It gets pretty much full sun except for right away in the morning. I lean towards the blues, purples, pink. I have been trying to use more foliage color and not relying on bloom color.

Any suggestions is greatly appreciated. Zone 4, what I used to call zone 3. Thanks,

Jodi

front garden
Driving up to the house, picture taken today

Photobucket
Inside the garden, picture taken mid June

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: suggestions for the front garden - pic included

Wow! I can't make any suggestions because I think it looks great!! I'm not understanding what there is that needs hiding. It looks like you've got a few things in there that will fill in as time goes on. I think it's beautiful and well-maintained!

Kristy :)

o

I would put some low-growing "spillers" along the edge and some winter-interest plants, perhaps some taller conifers in the backgrounds.

o

Thanks for the comments. I hadn't thought about spillers, and I see now that vertical ht would be helpful.

I appreciate it!

Jodi

o

I love what you've got already. I might get one or two of the pre-made iron trellis or archways to put over the paths and use them for annual climbing vines.

Martha

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Minnesota Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here