Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jennypat_gw

Planting for fall or spring

Can I plant seeds now for fall color? or is it to late up here?

Can I plant seeds for early spring blooms, like viola's or pansy's?

How about foxgloves or lupine? Are there any other seeds I can plant in the fall for spring blooms? And when do I plant them?

Jenny P

Comments (2)

• Julie
    16 years ago

Hey there Jenny-
    You can direct sow seeds in the fall - for spring germination- but usually not bloom. The sow in the fall for spring blooms suggestions are usually for warmer regions down south where the seedlings can grow all winter long. Seedlings up here usually need a full seasons growth to make it in a dormant state through our winters.

I do like wintersowing better than direct fall sowing- I have better germination percentages with wintersowing- I also will start seeds under lights almost exclusivly in the winter though. Other I know will sow fresh columbine seed indoors as soon as they ripen (June/July) and are able to transplant seedlings out before the freeze begins. I bet you could do that with lupins too-
    I say give it a try if you want to, you never know what you can do unless you try-

• jennypat Zone 3b NW MN
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Thanks Julie!
    I had planted lupine last spring, (2006) they did grow nicely, and looked good last fall. But they didn't come back this year. I do think I had them in the wrong spot, I didn't realize at the time that they needed full sun, and I had them in a part sun area. So I might try them again in a sunnier spot. I do have some seed here, maybe I will put them into some potting mix, and see if they will germinate, then plant them into the sunny bed in Sept.

I was in Pennsylvania this spring, in April, and there were pansy's blooming everywhere! This is what gave me the idea I could fall plant for spring blooms. But you are right, they are a warmer zone.
    Oh by the way, all summer I meant to send you a thank you for the seeds! I was going to take pictures for you, but my camera died, so I didn't get any pictures this summer. (It is still in the shop getting fixed)

Jenny P

Sponsored