Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jennypat_gw

Deer resistant?

I have a privacy row of shrubs I am working on. Currently it is a row of overgrown buckthorn, but it separates my yard from the gravel road (there is no ditch, just my yard this row of stuff and the gravel road) Across the road is about 14 acres of deer filled woods!

Anyway as I tear out the buckthorn I want to replace it with GOOD shrubs, but they have to be deer resistant. I would hate to spend money on a beautiful shrub to have it eaten! (did I mention this row is about 150 feet long??)

Currently the shrubs I bought (without checking deer resistance first, they were just SO pretty!) Are:

Black lace Elderberry

Sutherland Elderberry

Tiger-eye Sumac

Summerwine ninebark

Korean Lilac

Does anyone have personal experience with these and deer? Or know if they are deer resistant? I am confused mostly because when I looked up the elderberry it said it was resistant, but am sure that I planted some about 6 or 7 years ago, and they were nibbled to the ground, I am sure it was a different variety though. If that makes a difference.

Oh and what about Weigela's? It would be nice to add some of these for color and bloom, but not as forage!

And my friend is giving me a number of potted lilacs she dug from her yard, 4 different varieties! I am pretty sure these should be ok.

Thanks

Jenny P

Comments (2)

Sponsored
Century Stair Company
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars23 Reviews
DC Metro Area Luxury Custom Staircase & Railing Professional