Return to the Minnesota Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Tomatoes taking over my counter! Have a good salsa recipe?

Posted by windytown 4 (My Page) on
Sun, Aug 6, 06 at 23:36

The heat of the last couple of weeks must've really given the tomatoes some good juju. I picked over ten pounds of the red guys today, mainly Early Girl and Beefmaster.

I'm kind of a salsa-making novice, so I'm looking for advice. Will Early Girl and Beefmaster work in a good salsa, or should I wait for more paste-type tomatoes like Romas?

Sure, I know there are a million recipes out there on the internet. I'd like to know what you do. :)

IMHO, Salsa Lisa (medium), made in St. Paul, is fantastic. If I could replicate that salsa, I'd be overjoyed. I doubt Lisa wants to share, though. LOL

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Tomatoes taking over my counter! Have a good salsa recipe?

I have a recipe for black bean salsa that I think it awesome....but it's not a standard salsa recipe which you may be looking for. Let me know....I'm more than happy to post it.
Kristy :)

o

Sounds yummy Kristy. I love anything with black beans - burritos, refried with lime and onions. Please post it!

I winged it a couple of nights ago after some internet research. My son and nephew declared my salsa delish.

I used about 14 pretty good sized tomatoes. Blanched, skinned and seeded them, then chopped into a pretty small dice. Drained the leftovers over a colander for the juice and added it to the mix. Added finely diced sweet onion, 1/4 cup olive oil, chopped cilantro, oregano and a splash of vinegar, lime juice, and a teensy tiny bit of sugar. Three finely diced fresh jalapenos were the cap, and a few minced garlic cloves.

Voila! It was great! Please tell me about the black bean salsa. I'm a foodie. Can you tell?

I'll be asking for eggplant recipes if the darned bugs don't stop consuming the tiny fruits. Bugmania abounds in my environs, especially the hungry hoppers.

o

Okay....your salsa sounds awesome!! I am drooling now!

This recipe I found at Allrecipes.com. It calls for a can of diced tomatoes which I sub for fresh chopped up tomatoes. It's forgiving so add as many as you want. Ditto on the jalapenos.

Spicy Bean Salsa
Makes 4 cups

1 (15 oz) can black-eyed peas
1 (15 oz) can black beans, rinsed and drained
1 (15 oz) can whole kernel corn, drained
1/2 cup chopped onion
1/2 cup chopped green bell pepper
1 (4 oz) can diced jalapeno peppers
1(14.5 oz) can diced tomatoes, drained
1 cup Italian-style salad dressing
1/2 teaspoon garlic salt

Directions
In a medium bowl, combine black-eyed peans, black beans, corn, onion, green pepper, jalapeno, and tomatoes. Season with salad dressing and garlic salt; mix well. Cover and refrigerate overnight to blend flavors.

P.S. I'm a foodie too!!!

o

Thanks for the recipe Kristy! Now I'm the one drooling. LOL

o

You're welcome. If you make it I hope you enjoy it!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Minnesota Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here