Return to the Minnesota Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Not exactly gardening but...... disguising blacktop!!

Posted by jel48 Z3/4 Minnesota (My Page) on
Mon, Sep 3, 07 at 0:17

Does anyone know a way to disguise an ugly patch of blacktop, short of tearing it out? I know I can set lots of pottd plants on it, but I'm wondering if there is anything else that can be done. Can a thin layer of something decorative be done right on top of it? Maybe a tile, or maybe ?????? Has anyone ever tried anything like this? It runs between driveway/garage and the stairway of a deck. And it's not just a path. I'd estimate maybe a 10 x 12 area, minimum.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Not exactly gardening but...... disguising blacktop!!

• Posted by john_w Z4a Minn, US (My Page) on
    Mon, Sep 3, 07 at 21:50

Blacktop must be seal-coated with more blacktop every few years or it will wear away. If you disguise it now, that disguise must be overlaid again with the blacktop you dislike.

Your best choices are to distract the eye from it with decorative things like potted plants or to replace it with something you do like.

Blacktop cannot be overlaid with something permanent like tile. It's basically a petroleum mix; it's soft and unstable.

o

I would put a green house on top of it.....
If it doesn't get enough sun- it could still be a great holding area, partially protected wintering over place and wintersowing arena.....

o

I'd tear it out if you're not using it and don't foresee a future use. Think how lovely it would make the area planted with flowers! Potted plants need so much more time and attention and care.

RE: "Blacktop must be seal-coated with more blacktop every few years or it will wear away." I've read things that dispute this. I'm not an expert (on this); I could believe that the particulars of a situation cause different degrees of wear. I only post this to urge you to do further research.

Part of my driveway is concrete. I took large pieces of cardboard, cut out flower shapes, and used them as stencils to spray paint the surface. I think it would work as well on blacktop if you decide to keep it. Looks very cheerful and colorful.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Minnesota Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here