Return to the Minnesota Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Boxwood 'Green Gem'

Posted by kristin_flower 4a (My Page) on
Sat, Sep 1, 07 at 5:13

Hi,

Does anyone grow "Green Gem" boxwood? I just bought 10 from Home Depot. The tag said cold hardy -20 to -30 (sounds like zone 4b?). I'm wondering if I'll need to protect these over the winter.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Boxwood 'Green Gem'

Do protect it the first winter. Like all boxwoods (being evergreen), they are vulnerable to winter sun. Plant it where it will be shaded for most or all of the day in the winter, especially from south and west sun.

o

Expect some winter burn the first winter (especially March when the sun is strong and the ground often frozen). If you want, you could wrap them in burlap the first winter, or just the first March would be enough. Boxwood should really be planted in the spring. In any event keep well watered.

o

The sun is very intense in the early spring month of March, and the sun's reflection on a pristine March snow is especially hard on new boxwood. This will proabably prove to be the most difficult time. But a "fresh" boxwood going into this trying time would more likely survive than one that has already been worn by dimmer winter sun and wind. I would still recommend protection the first winter season. Green Gem is not the hardiest of boxwoods, but should do fine if conditions are good.

Wrapping is fine, but I prefer a simple burlap fence, especially on the south and west sides of the plant, and perhaps angling just a bit over the plant too. (March sun is much higher in the sky.) A simple way to accomplish this is to use an upside-down tomato cage as a frame. Don't cover the top: you want snow to get in, and heat to get out. Be sure to secure the tomato cage so it doesn't blow away. Mulching, of course, is a good idea.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Minnesota Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here