Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
prairie_love

covering veggies for frost

prairie_love
16 years ago

Hi all,

I hope this forum is okay for my question, but I figure you all are quite familiar with early frosts, so maybe can help me out!

We had a frost predicted last night so I decided to try to protect my tomato and pepper plants. I've never bothered before, but this is an exceptionally early frost and I thought if I can get them through a couple of days, then I can expect two or three more weeks of good weather. The forecast is cold (freezing) again tonight, then warming.

So, I used large plastic garbage bags - big black ones for the tomatoes, smaller white ones for the peppers. A friend did the same thing. She plans to just leave her plants covered today and tonight. I am afraid that if I do that the plants will cook inside the bags during the day today. The forecast for today is 55° and partly cloudy. It may not seem like a big deal, but I have a lot of plants, it took me about an hour to get them all covered, so I'd love to leave them till tomorrow if it won't hurt the plants.

Any thoughts? Thank you so much in advance.

Ann, in neighboring North Dakota

Comments (6)

• carmellia
    16 years ago

I'm with you. I think they would cook under the solar heat, especially the ones under the black bags. The 55 degree daytime temp certainly is not going to harm them. Why risk cooking them?

You are getting frost warnings earlier than we are here in central and southern MN. I'd better start keeping my ears open though. I often miss the warnings and it puts a finish to my garden. The peppers seem especially vulnerable. Carmellia

• selkie_b
    16 years ago

I use old sheets - they work great, and if you are a little late uncovering them they don't cook so badly underneath.

-Marie

• deweymn
    16 years ago

It may be too late for this year but here is something I have done. Check thrift stores for half off tags, church rummage sales for bag days etc. You can find a lot of discarded material, large king size sheets, or other fabrics that are not very expensive. I have even gotten tarps from the box stores for $1-$3 after rebates that I use to cover things.

Good luck and keep the frost over your way for awhile yet.

• prairie_love
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Thanks all. Sorry I didn't respond earlier, but GW has a nasty tendency to freeze up my home computer. Anyway, just to let you know - the lowest we got was 32.5, even my uncovered basil survived! So the covering probably wasn't necessary, but I would have been bummed if I hadn't covered and they had frozen. The day I asked about - the issue was not worrying about the daytime temp, the issue was the amount of time it took to cover all the plants and the fact that I had to be somewhere that evening. I kept an eye on the plants during the day - stuck my hand up in there and it was warm, but never hot. I think if it had been a really sunny day it would have been a problem but, because it was cloudy I left them covered and they did fine. So, now we know for the future.

I thought about using sheets also, but the plants are spread over a very large area, so it would have taken a lot of sheets. I'm not sure I could have fit more than one tomato under each sheet! But, as deweymn suggests, I will try to find very inexpensive ones and collect them for the future.

Thanks for the comments
    Ann

• kristal
    16 years ago

I say, take advantage of all the sunshine you can right now. You'd be sorely dissapointed if you lost your plants to overheating rather than to freezing, but that's just my opinion.

• mnwsgal
    16 years ago

I cover my plants with a variety of old sheets and that filmy white row cover. Over the years I have often left the plants covered until early afternoon as I am often up all night and therefore sleep during the morning hours. Sometimes I have even left plants covered all day if there is frost expected again that night. I have never had any of my plants damaged from heat resulting in being covered. I expect that is more likely to happen with plastic and tarp coverings.

That said, it's a lot of work to cover and uncover plants so unless it is very early in the season, like this past week, I only cover a few very select plants. It is actually a relief to have the season end.
    Bobbie

Sponsored