Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jel48

Tree Leaf ID ?

jel48
16 years ago

Can anyone identify my trees by these leaves and seeds? There are two of these trees growing just off of my deck. They don't have a large solid trunk. They split off in multipe trunks not too far above the ground and the trunks are maybe 10-12 inches in diameter (each). Also, they are not straight upright trunks but kind of angle (I hesitate to say twist because that's not quite right) this way and that as they go upward. I've searched some of the tree ID sites, but don't come up with any leaves that look like these.

I know I can go to the tree forum, and I'll do that if no one knows, but thought I'd check here first.

Comments (6)

• giantslug
    16 years ago

Amur maple, Acer ginnala.

• phyllis__mn
    16 years ago

Yep, and don't plant any hostas under them!!!

• leftwood
    16 years ago

I concur, Amur maple.

Yep, and don't plant any hostas under them!!!

Goodness. What happens? Do they get the heebee jeebees, have sex with the maple, get up and run away, gang up on the tree and assassinate it, do they turn into hulk hostas or maybe the maple gets the heebee jeebees?

Seriously, if anything is going to grow under a maple, it's going to be a hosta.

• jel48
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Thanks everybody! I've heard of Amur Maples, of course, but had never seen one! What I hear is mixed reviews. Good shade trees and beautiful fall colors, but some folks consider them kind of a weed tree. Guess I'll wait and see :-)

Rick, I'm shocked! LOL! Hostas having sex with the maple? Did you really say that??

A lot of folks on the hosta forum say that the shallow roots that maples put out will eventually suck away all the water and nutrients that the hostas need and the hostas will start a severe decline after a few years. A very few others say not. Here's a quote (about maples) from one of our top hosta experts "they are super competitors.. period.. they win.. and only the most vigorous hosta can come close to competing..."

There is a product that some of the hosta folk are using as a barrier (lining the hole the hosta is planted in). It's called Spin-Out. It's kinda pricy but a few swear by it. I'll post a link so you can take a look. Supposedly, roots won't penetrate the stuff the fabric is coated with. Therefore, put the coating side out and the maple roots aren't supposed to be able to get through and smother the hostas. I actually bought some of it that I was planning to use here in Owatonna so will just switch and use it around hostas near the Amur maples and see what happen..

Here is a link that might be useful: Spin Out

• leaveswave
    16 years ago

Unfortunately, it's been a popular tree/shrub to plant. The MN DNR considers it not only an alien, but an invasive.

I'll be interested to hear how that barrier is working a few years after being installed. Keep us posted.

• leftwood
    16 years ago

I must agree, that maples are tough cookies as far as root competition. There are very vigorous hosta and not so vigorous hosta, in fact some are down right pokey. But the Hosta glade at the arboretum is lined with natural sugar maples, and some smattering within the glade too. Natural tree roots extend at least the height of the tree itself. Don't see any problems growing hosta there.

All I'm saying is, well, what I already said: there just aren't many things tougher than a hosta for shade and root competition. Well, bishopweed (Aegepodium). Don't think you want that though. It's a scary thing, and nearly as bad a creeping charlie. Which by the way, should grow under Amur maples, LOL.

Sponsored