Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
doucanoe

planting on septic mound

doucanoe
17 years ago

Trying to come up with ideas to plant on our unsightly septic mound. Was thinking yesterday that it may be a good place to let the raspberries go crazy. What do you all think? Or would that be "icky"?

Linda

Comments (17)

• lazyweeder
    17 years ago

The grass grows greener over the septic tank why not raspberries? (although if one dropped on the ground while pickin I think I'd let the 5 second rule slide and let the critters have it)

• cheri_mn_524
    17 years ago

I have my rassberries over my drain field, and Dotty has her mound system full of perennials. If your going to the swap saturday you should ask her if you can go see it.
    As long as you plant food above the ground your safe. Don't plant like carrots or radishes..

• zenpotter
    17 years ago

I am growing native plants on our septic mound at our cabin. This is the first year for them so they are a bit straggly, but I expect great results next year. I threw the seed out in November and there they were in the spring. I had purchased a mix from Prairie Moon Nursery.

• leaveswave
    17 years ago

I would not plant edibles of any sort over a septic mound. The University Extension Service which disseminates only research-based horticultural information says the same thing here and here. The uptake of chemicals or other things you wouldn't want on your food does not depend on whether the edible portion grows over/under ground, but on each particular plant. Be safe.

• doucanoe
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Thanks all. Interesting reading, Rick.
    So then, what is the difference between planting edibles on a septic or drainfield and using animal manure to fertilize a vegetable garden? Why is one okay but not the other?

Linda

• Julie
    17 years ago

I really do not know....
    But I would suspect- the caution would be the spread of disease.
    Most animal diseases are kept to them-selves= with the exception of pigs who's bodies treat many diseases and virus very similarly to human bodies- remember swine flu?- and yes now bird flu. Birds have been known to allow a mutation process to virus that create a human suseptable form as well as pigs. In the case of swine flu- it was a bird pig combo that helped to mutate the virus into a human suseptable form. Remember how you were cautioned to stay away from the kitties litter box- when you were pregnant?
    I think the animals we traditionally get manure from does not have that known link- cow and sheep- and you usually get it well rotted and composted- which allows the micro-organisms to do their work of breaking down amonias and other more harmfull aspects of manure- both to the plants and those who handle it.
    There may be some truth to the fact that the herbavors fecies may not contain as many harmfull by products in their by products. Meat eaters/omnivors may have more harmfull diseases laying at bay-
    I hyothesize further by assuming a drain field is created to start that breaking down process- but is not 100% at getting the job done- and the possible risk of disease too great to "risk" it.
    Now- let me add- I have eaten Cheri's mouth-watering Raspberries- and will again when ever she offers them! But I drive without my seat belt on- and play with fire and molten metal as well.....

• doucanoe
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Interesting, Julie. Never thought of it that way. Well, maybe the septic mound will be a good place to relocate the blasted Adenophora....

Linda

• lazyweeder
    17 years ago

Interesting thought, why do we spread human manure in farmer's fields? Why is that ok (pure raw sewage), but not growing vegetables on top of a septic system. The septic tank starts the breakdown process and the process finishes in the drainfield. The drainfield is covered by dirt so there is a protective layer whereas in the field there is none. Possibly part of the reason growing vegetables is not recommended is the same reason trees and bushes are not. Part of the function of the drainfield is to allow the excess water to evaporate. Taller vegetation doesn't allow for that and the roots interfere with drainfield.

• doucanoe
    Original Author
    17 years ago

They spread human waste in farm fields???? I didn't know that!

Linda

• leftwood
    17 years ago

Raw human sewage? Where would you get raw human sewage? Are you sure it is (ahem) raw human sewage? Maybe it's already processed. Still, I wonder.

Now Dave, you're not pulling a slippery one on us are you?
    (Ooo, that was not good at all. Sorry about that everyone.)

• Julie
    17 years ago

EEEwwwwwwww Rick!
    I too doubt human waste is used raw in any compacity- The regulations for grey water- the run off from doing dishes, washing clothes, showering and the like isn't even allowed to drain on top of the soil so no possibly harmfull particles can become airborn.

• lazyweeder
    17 years ago

When septic tanks are pumped that is one of the places it is dumped is in farmer's fields. How fresh it is depends on the last time....

It is not allowed in the seven county metro area as of a couple years ago but still is allowed outside that area.

• doucanoe
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Oh, now I am really grossed out!

Linda

• Julie
    17 years ago

And we wonder why the government is warning folks not to eat bagged spinach because of e-coli fatalities!

• zenpotter
    17 years ago

Julie I was thinking the same thing. We went to our cabin over the weekend and my native plant garden that is on top of the septic mound is all blue and white from the asters. It looks wonderful.

Our septic tank doesn't get pumped it is filtered into the soil. If we thought about just what happens to all of the waste from animals including the human kind we would probably stop eating. That wouldn't be very healthy either.

Pauline

• lazyweeder
    17 years ago

If your septic system is not pumped on a regular basis the drainfield gets clogged with the solids and the life of your system shortened significantly. How often it gets pumped is related to the use it gets.

The septic tank itself captures the large solids. The runoff from the septic tank called effluent (fine solids) flow into the drainfield where it is broken down. Over time the large solids build up in the septic tank and eventually seep into and clog the drainfield if it is not pumped.

• wyndwalkr
    17 years ago

A word from Wisconsin here. Lazyweeder is right, about raw sewage, at least if MN is similar to WI. When we were new to country living, we had a guy pump our tank (now required every 2 years here in WI for just the reason Lazyweeder mentioned) who was a friendly character. Wouldn't you have to be, with that job? Anyway, being unenlightened at the time, I asked him where he took the sewage to, expecting he emptied it into some nearby town's disposal system. He answered, "Where do ya want it?!!" Yep, he was going to go spread it on some farmer's field. (Properly applied for permits, of course.) I suppose sunshine and drying takes care of a lot of the germs.* Not chemicals, though. (???)

I am starting to research what to plant on our mound septic, to cut down on mowing. I do know this: DON'T PLANT ANYTHING WITH DEEP ROOTS OR A TAPROOT. Shallow fibrous roots and tolerant of dry ground plants are suitable.

*Lack of moisture kills germs. Do you eat meat jerky? It is made from dried RAW meat. At least recipes I've seen and used.

Happy planting!

Sponsored
Schlabach Woodworks
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars16 Reviews
Franklin County's Reclaimed Wood Professionals